kayumanggi

MACBETH | 12.04.15 | The Weinstein Company | final domestic gross: $1,110,707

Reviews already?

Was screened at Cannes.

Apparently, not every opinion is possitive:

The new MACBETH may be the worst Shakespeare adaptation I have ever seen. It's directed with no regard whatsoever to the play's verse, almost as if Justin Kurzel didn't bother to read a scene before speaking to his fine actors. *Nothing* makes sense. Macbeth and Lady Macbeth are not power-hungry, but forlorn and catatonic (the scene of Lady M. chiding her spouse for surplus of human kindness plays as if Marion Cotillard had no idea what her lines even *meant*). Birnam Wood is absent, as are Macbeth's chilling visions and the play's occasional humor. The Witches look like they've been busted over the heads with their cauldron; they speak their lines with a sleepiness characteristic of the entire production. All this is overlaid witch choppy editing (GAME OF THRONES meets 300 meets BRAVEHEART) and a whole lot of a fake Scottish fog. Roman Polański may sleep soundly: his is still the finest screen adaptation of The Scottish Play.

Source:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152732588091541&set=a.314298756540.158572.727016540&type=1&hc_location=ufi

• Like 1

The new MACBETH may be the worst Shakespeare adaptation I have ever seen. Roman Polański may sleep soundly: his is still the finest screen adaptation of The Scottish Play.

Nope, it's Throne of Blood

Edited by Numbers of Westeros
  • Like 1

I've seen more Shakespeare plays at The Globe than I have film adaptations. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. :ph34r:

They have to GoS plays steamed at our theatre whenever they're on. I saw MacBeth when it was on, and my dad watched Titus Andronicus, have you seen that one?

To the best of my knowledge, they were all performed in original pronunciation. Certainly it feels very authentic. It's a really magical experience - you walk on to the site of the Globe and as you do so, you have people seemingly from the 1600s promoting the play, trying to coerce you into the theatre in just the way they would have back in the day. It's hard to describe but just the atmosphere itself is incredible, it really feels like you have been transported to 400 years ago, even though you can see cars outside and people on their mobile phones. It's a remarkable experience that should be on everyone's bucket list. I try to go to the Globe once a year myself. :)

• Like 2