39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Tangled

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Oh, my goodness. Words cannot truly express how I love this film. It's my favorite animated film of the year, and probably the top three of the last decade. I thought it was touching, hilarious, and incredibly memorable. The journey between Flynn (sorry, Eugene) and Rapunzel was spectacular.

A+

• Like 1

I would rank this among my favorite films of last year if it weren't for that huge WTF of an ending. I know the tears are part of Rapunzel's mythology, but it really was not integrated well into the one the film created. Still, up until that point it's a lot of fun.

B+

Edited by tribefan695

Oh, my goodness. Words cannot truly express how I love this film. It's my favorite animated film of the year, and probably the top three of the last decade. I thought it was touching, hilarious, and incredibly memorable. The journey between Flynn (sorry, Eugene) and Rapunzel was spectacular.A+

This.

Tangled is phenomenal.

I think it is good, but not great. The songs were good, but of recent Disney Animated Films, I like Princess and the Frog & Frozen's songs better.

I thought the animation was just good.

With that said, I would still give it a A-/B+ leaning towards A-.

Edited by Empire

It's a visually beautiful film directed by competent studio executives. It's dumb, monstly unfunny, has bland musical numbers and it lacks stakes (apparently falling from a super high cliff is not a big deal). I won't even talk about the missed opportunity with the villain. 45/100

Edited by Goffe

A gorgeous looking film with a standout performance by Zachary Levi. A competent story but not one of Disney's best. The songs and music are probably Alan Menken's least impressive yet. Weird pacing and the lone "epic" action sequence isn't engaging enough. Wish they had gone the "Into the Woods" route with Gothel. Rapunzel herself is kind of a Mary Sue, despite a strong effort from Mandy Moore. In an effort to make the film more "boy-friendly", the makers squandered a HUGE opportunity to flesh out a fascinatingly rich mother/daughter dynamic with lasting consequences on Rapunzel's personality. Not that Flynn/Eugene isn't awesome but this villain could have been Disney's most layered yet with the most complex relationship and effect on the heroine. 

That lovely lantern sequence alone justifies a B+ though, despite all of the movie's shortcomings (of which there are many).

• Like 1