Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

I posted earlier that its matinees appear to be trailing TA and THG. We won't know for sure until we have the first report from Nikki in a couple of hours.

I understand... But even with all the show times, the fact our IMAX isnt sold out is a big deal. We have the busiest IMAX in southern California (or did). I saw Watchmen at 3pm on friday, it was sold out. TDKR was already sold out for every showtime that weekend in Imax. The fact I can still buy tickets for any IMAX showtime all weekend baffles me.

I'm tracking 4 theaters with >40 shows (40, 44, 46, 46).  There's 3 more with >37 (37, 39, 39), all three of which have the capacity to expand to 45+.  Outside of those 7, there's at least 4 more that can also expand to 45+, and 5 more that can expand to 35+.  There's one that's currently at 29 that could go as high as 60.

I understand... But even with all the show times, the fact our IMAX isnt sold out is a big deal. We have the busiest IMAX in southern California (or did). I saw Watchmen at 3pm on friday, it was sold out. TDKR was already sold out for every showtime that weekend in Imax. The fact I can still buy tickets for any IMAX showtime all weekend baffles me.

Calm down, tons of walk up business will happen this weekend.
  • Like 1

Which one is it?

Which one is it?

Irvine Spectrum IMAX... its a top 10 theater in the country. And when it opened in 1995 Already had a full Giant IMAX. People used to drive form San Diego just to see movies here. 

Edited by Jay Salahi

True but TDKR was like the most hyped up movie relating to IMAX...

I think comparison to TA is more fair and another to note I don't think people will be that nuts about watching IM3 in Imax compared to TA and especially TDKR..

The point is it needs about 50 million in day business and it should get and thats with it selling fewer tickets then IM2 for crying out loud.

I'm saying 53M for today.

• Like 1

The IMAX in Houston that I'm looking at has 2 sellouts for tonight (7 PM, 10:10 PM). They also have a show listed for 1:20 AM tonight that has tickets available. The 9:30 AM and 12:40 PM shows didn't sell out. There is a show coming up in 85 minutes at 3:50 PM that still has tickets available.

Irvine Spectrum IMAX... its a top 10 theater in the country. And when it opened in 1999??? Already had a full Giant IMAX. People used to drive form San Diego just to see movies here. 

Yeah but they've got 41 shows, with the choice between RPX and IMAX, and its only 12:30PM.  I get what you're saying, but I'd still give it some time.

• Like 1

Why doesn't Fandango cross off sold out showings anymore? Its so much harder to track sellouts.

Fandango crosses out Edwards/Regal, but not AMC.  For AMC you have to click each showtime, AND its always good to reaffirm with AMC's website, because Fandango will sometimes outright remove sold out AMC shows.

If you guys look at OW # of tickets sold, this will be incredibe if it beats the original Spiderman which adjusts to $157m (7th place all time adjusted)

SPIDERMAN was one of the first kid-friendly superhero movies released after X-MEN started the whole superhero genre in the 2000s.

After a relentless onslaught of SH movies, lots of them are poor to mediocre (FF, GL, GRider), GA is not as wild & enthused as before. Fatigue sets in. Always does. 

Well, this no-IMAX-sellouts thing clearly indicates that IM3 will flop. Commence the meltdown and get your popcorn.

Maybe it is indicator that people are going 2D instead of 3D. I wonder what ratio will end up being 60/40 2d?  

Fandango crosses out Edwards/Regal, but not AMC.  For AMC you have to click each showtime, AND its always good to reaffirm with AMC's website, because Fandango will sometimes outright remove sold out AMC shows.

LOL, that is weird how they do it for one chain but not the other.

Yeah but they've got 41 shows, with the choice between RPX and IMAX, and its only 12:30PM.  I get what you're saying, but I'd still give it some time.

I know it's not a good direct comparison, but that theater was going NUTS for Avengers and TDKR.

• Like 1