Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

23) Will Nikki's first posting about IM3 contain the phrase "NOT A RECORD" anywhere in the post? NO

The answer is technically no, lol. But who care right, we're all pretty much in the same boat with that one. :P

The moment someone loses the game by 1000 points because of this question.

Local theaters are starting to sellout evening shows...

Not seen for IM2... also this all happened through walks ups ... 

We'll get to go through this shit all over again for Thor 2 Im sure. Haters and other various nattering nabobs will pretend that middling pre sales and midnights are totally not the norm for Marvel movies and predict disaster, at least until the walk ups hit.

• Like 1

We'll get to go through this shit all over again for Thor 2 Im sure. Haters and other various nattering nabobs will pretend that middling pre sales and midnights are totally not the norm for Marvel movies and predict disaster, at least until the walk ups hit.

Who has been predicting disaster for IM3? What is with all the generalizations around here? lol

• Like 1

Still no sellouts at Lincoln Square IMAX for the weekend. I'm confused. Perhaps the reserve seating is bugging people out.

I thought somebody posted a sellout at this theater. These pages move so fast though. I don't want to scroll back and look.

Who has been predicting disaster for IM3? What is with all the generalizations around here? lol

Disaster may have been the wrong word, disappointment may have been better, but the general point still stands :P.

• Like 1

I think we all got it wrong Ed.

I will not accept this! I put in a good 20 minutes answering your 10,000 questions!:( Edited by iTz ED

Maybe next people will be saying that Thor won't get an Avengers bump. They'll go all the way back to the argument that Avengers was just "Iron Man & friends", and claim that no one cares about Thor.

• Like 1

Disaster may have been the wrong word, disappointment may have been better, but the general point still stands :P.

That's what I'm saying though. It's a big generalization. A few people out of hundreds saying it'll disappoint is not the same thing as the entire board doing it.

I thought somebody posted a sellout at this theater. These pages move so fast though. I don't want to scroll back and look.

Every showing has 8-10 seats available. Mostly handicap spots.

That's what I'm saying though. It's a big generalization. A few people out of hundreds saying it'll disappoint is not the same thing as the entire board doing it.

You misread what I wrote entirely, then. I didn't say "the entire board," I said the "haters and various nattering nabobs." What part of what I said implies "entire?"

Edited by Orestes

I had one of the lowest predictions for Iron Man and I still had it at three hundred and forty mill. Not quite a disaster is it? I really don't think anybody predicted to be a disastrous finish. I swear some of u are I like gossip magazines with all of your sensationalism.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

It's already started:

Also I would like to caution everyone on what happens for almost every blockbuster. Expectations are tempered trying to be reasonable and smart before the film opens with a few members reaching for the sky. Midnight numbers (previews also) come out and people start getting excited. As the day progresses more people talk about sellouts and box office sites start to report big numbers. The excitement builds as the OW predictions climb higher and higher. Then they reach a point of insanity where the movie has no chance to hit expectations and the opening day gross is viewed as a disappointment. The board then goes extremely negative dropping expectations by 10-20m+ and people start to think the movie is a bomb and that WOM isn't really that good. So now we have the movie at an insanely low benchmark to pass. Saturday rolls around and reports start coming in on how full matinees are and people start to raise their predictions as box office sources report a bigger Saturday then expected. Expectations then rise slowly as people want to be cautious, because of the highs and lows that occurred before and the movie winds up about where most people had it before OW and most members are satisfied with the opening weekend number. So let's just say right now it'll open to 165-175m DOM and save ourselves the trouble? Haha like that'll happen.

I had one of the lowest predictions for Iron Man and I still had it at three hundred and forty mill. Not quite a disaster is it? I really don't think anybody predicted to be a disastrous finish. I swear someone I like gossip magazines with all of your sensationalism.

I'm still wondering how the competition will effect all movies this summer. It's just way too crowded for normal summer legs. I think we shall see, regardless of WOM, a lot of films under a 2.5 multiplier and many near 2, if not under a 2.