Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

How do you track AMC? I can't be fussed with clicking on every showtime, lol. Is there a better way than that?

Nope, no better way. Unless a show is sold out, in which case the showtime link goes dark.

Sad but true. DH2's run was so anticlimactic if you take out the midnights it's almost pathetic. Even it's Friday w/o midnights was blah. For me when I think of the greatest box office achievements since I've been following box office (around 2000 or so) I think:

1. Avatar's run

2. Avenger's OW (tie)

2. SM1's OW (tie)

4. New Moon's OD

5. DH2's midnight

What's sad is by the time the weekend was over, everyone was realizing that for the first time in a long time we had an opening weekend champ that wasn't even close to the admissions champ. That's why I was so happy to see Avengers blow past $200m. Because even with 3D, there is no doubt that it's at least tied with SM3/TDK and probably even ahead of them in admissions. Potter wasn't even fucking close. The BOM article about its weekend should have been a celebration, but Gray was talking about how it wasn't even in the top 5 in admissions. A freaking Twilight movie was ahead of it! LOL.

• Like 1

Very very nice to sit thru 60 pages of almost nothing..

If Friday is 70 mill there is still a chance of 180 mill if it follows the TA patteren

Very very nice to sit thru 60 pages of almost nothing..

Until Rth returns with an update we don't have much to talk about  :lol:

Edited by Chewy

What's sad is by the time the weekend was over, everyone was realizing that for the first time in a long time we had an opening weekend champ that wasn't even close to the admissions champ. That's why I was so happy to see Avengers blow past $200m. Because even with 3D, there is no doubt that it's at least tied with SM3/TDK and probably even ahead of them in admissions. Potter wasn't even fucking close. The BOM article about its weekend should have been a celebration, but Gray was talking about how it wasn't even in the top 5 in admissions. A freaking Twilight movie was ahead of it! LOL.

Yeah, I've got TDK/SM3/TA/DMC/NM/SM/TDKR all ahead.  Potter's like #9 right now in attendance, with THG just barely edging it out as well.

• Like 1

It's not going to follow TA's Sat/Sun pattern.

No chance of that. Personally I think the "pussy" line is NOT gonna go over well with parents who bring their kids to see it. I just remember seeing TA and there were a ton of little kids with conservatively dressed parents. I think, "Hmmm...I wonder how they would react to this?" Probably not well.

And the thing is everyone knew the midnight record was toast when DH2 was about to hit. If you were surprised it broke the record than you clearly didn't follow box office. Sure few knew it was gonna go that big at midnight, but we all knew midnight record was getting smashed. Whereas next to no one knew Avatar would beat Titanic, Avengers and Spiderman would obliterate the OW records, and New Moon would set the OD record. That's why those 4 were more impressive for me.

Edited by IronMan89
  • Like 2

No chance of that. Personally I think the "pussy" line is NOT gonna go over well with parents who bring their kids to see it. I just remember seeing TA and there were a ton of little kids with conservatively dressed parents. I think, "Hmmm...I wonder how they would react to this?" Probably not well.

Imagine if they knew what a quim was  :lol:

• Like 3

Why?

Because that was driven by insane buzz and demand that wasn't sated until more showtimes were added. The spillover started late Friday and went into Sunday. That's not the case here. I think it may perform slightly better than IM1/IM2's pattern, but not dramatically so.

• Like 2