Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

If kids could help the Transformers movies, which were loaded with tasteless humor most of them would be too young to understand, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest they will help IM3.

• Like 1

I don't think bait and switch is a big problem if the film still delivers on the action and humor that Iron Man movies are known for. And if the A Cinemascore and Must Go rating on Fandango is any indication then I don't think the masses will have many significant problems with the film.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Well, I went for the 2nd time with 3 kids. Not mine, my friends'. They all really had fun watching it. They couldn't stop talking about it afterwards. So I don't see any problem with the kids. How about that for "general public"? :P

Small sample sizes. I didn't say "no kids" would enjoy it. ;)

So what s the problem with kids regarding IM3 then ?

Not sure I am following you here.

It comes down to repeat business, something that drove IM1 and Avengers. And something that IM2 lacked despite people liking it (contrary to what the Internet thinks). This feels way more like IM2 than either of those other movies.

Keep in mind that Shrek 4 and Prince of Persia were expected to be really tough competition for IM2. I'm not saying that something like Star Trek or Hangover Part 3 will underperform, but these things usually come as a surprise.

I think it is unfair to label everybody that had a problem with the twist or villain as "whiny fanboys"

More I think about it, the more I hate the twist.

It depowers the villain and makes the first hour or so worth of threats moot (in a way). But it didn't destroy the overall narrative/momentum of the story. I'd compare it more to...

Unbreakable's twist, i.e. "Ummmm OK. That's dumb but whatever." Still a good movie.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

Small sample sizes. I didn't say "no kids" would enjoy it. ;) It comes down to repeat business, something that drove IM1 and Avengers. And something that IM2 lacked despite people liking it (contrary to what the Internet thinks). This feels way more like IM2 than either of those other movies.

What did you think of it?

Keep in mind that Shrek 4 and Prince of Persia were expected to be really tough competition for IM2. I'm not saying that something like Star Trek or Hangover Part 3 will underperform, but these things usually come as a surprise.

Shrek 4 was. Prince of Persia wasn't.

• Like 1

I have a 9:45 show tonight in IMAX 3D.Although I been hearing the 3D is as useless as fork with soup.

Haha yeah, unfortunately it is...I saw it in both 2D and IMAX 3D and you could basically take your glasses off (I did many times) for half the movie and it not make a difference. Only bonus of seeing it in IMAX 3D is the bigger screen and louder/better sound...which is still worth it I think.

Small sample sizes. I didn't say "no kids" would enjoy it. ;)

It comes down to repeat business, something that drove IM1 and Avengers. And something that IM2 lacked despite people liking it (contrary to what the Internet thinks). This feels way more like IM2 than either of those other movies.

Same applies to your theory as well. ;)  We will know soon enough if families liked it. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Shawn, can you explain your thought process regarding the kids? 

The short version: I think a lot of kids will like some parts of it, but if anyone subscribes to "the Avengers effect" at the box office then they also have to see the downside of that. IMO, the downside is that kids will go into this fresh off Avengers and they'll get a movie that isn't much like Avengers until the final 20 minutes. They may like it, but it's repeat business I'm concerned about. Not just from kids, but adults too. I don't see either age demographic there falling in love with this movie and in a month with massive competition such as this one, that's not going to help it's legs if I'm right.

• Like 1