Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

the problem I think many have with the twist is not that Mandarin isn't an Asian stereotype . Its that

they were still expecting the Mandarin to be a master terrorist who styled himself after Sun Zhu and was still going to be iron Man's greatest threat, instead they got a drug addled British actor pretending to be a terrorist and some minor character then becoming the main villain

Except Guy Pearce was totally set up as the baddie we actually know stuff about. I was expecting him to be the guy pulling the strings the whole time. The surprise was at how laughably inept the Mandarin was.

• Like 1

PACIFIC RIM if you ask me.That will be golden among kids.Transformer beating Godzilla with Titanic.... who could want anything more?

I... still don't see that breaking out. WB still has a stick up their ass to how to sell this and they continue to focus on the Nerd crowd instead of the general public.

Only way TA2 wins OD is if they raise ticket prices, I have a real hard time seeing any movie coming up grossing more than HP's #

Its a lock, DH2 is going down.

• Like 1

OS performance has truly been amazing. 500M OS by Sunday is a lock and a great shot at 800M OS, truly epic.  :hiphiphoray:  :hiphiphoray:  :hiphiphoray:

#IronMan3 intl FRI $43.1M, cume $388.3M, global $456.6M. China leads intl mkts w/ $40M in 3days. Smashing $500M today!

• Like 6

TA2 will do it. EASILY.The question is..... can it do 100m?

With inflation, more (lie)MAX screens, hype, more show times and screens, etc. $100m od is definitely possible and the o/u $100m od thread will be magical :lol:

You're OK with them Puerto Ricoing it?

It'll be annoying, but I think I'll survive. 

I still remember the Tuesday thread for HBP where everyone kept saying I was on suicide watch. LOL. That was funny.

• Like 1

OS performance has truly been amazing. 500M OS by Sunday is a lock and a great shot at 800M OS, truly epic.  :hiphiphoray:  :hiphiphoray:  :hiphiphoray:

#IronMan3 intl FRI $43.1M, cume $388.3M, global $456.6M. China leads intl mkts w/ $40M in 3days. Smashing $500M today!

Posted Image

• Like 1

IM3 to out gross IM2 WW by Sunday and likely 670 million WW 

Day time business is super great.

Imax shows are going to be full all day and the 2pm shows and 5 pm shows are going to fill up a lot and nightime looks great as well. 

I... still don't see that breaking out. WB still has a stick up their ass to how to sell this and they continue to focus on the Nerd crowd instead of the general public.

Plenty of time yet for general public.Half of the moviegoers go to see an original movie after they hear about it from others who have seen it, anyway.I showed the 2nd trailer to my nephews and both went crazy. Just watch when the trailer hits the theaters with that boat scene.

More I think about it, the more I hate the twist.

It depowers the villain and makes the first hour or so worth of threats moot (in a way). But it didn't destroy the overall narrative/momentum of the story. I'd compare it more to...

Unbreakable's twist, i.e. "Ummmm OK. That's dumb but whatever." Still a good movie.

The more I think about the twist, the more I like it.

It didn't "depower" the villain at all because Mandarin was only supposed to be a terrorist orchestrating bombing attacks, anyway. Never was it implied that he was personally committing any of the violence, with the exception of shooting the Roxxon accountant in the head. The Extremis soldiers were the ones behind the bombings, whether deliberately or not. So even if Mandarin had not been revealed to be a sham concocted by Killian, he didn't have any real powers and would have relied on the Extremis soldiers to do his fighting for him.

The real villain was Aldrich Killian, who was actually the most powerful and frightening foe Iron Man has faced in any of his films. Killian said during the final battle, "I am The Mandarin," which is the truth that is being overlooked here. He used an actor to create a stereotypical terrorist facade behind which he could hide as he carried out his real schemes. The Mandarin was a distraction, created to dupe the military into chasing shadows and bait Iron Patriot into a trap. Killian wanted revenge on Tony, yes, but he also needed Tony to fix the flaw in Extremis so that he could avoid the explosive fate of his hapless soldier guinea pigs. That's a spin on what Tony did with Hansen's flawed formula in the comics that a lot of people who consider themselves rabid fans seem to have overlooked. 

• Like 6