Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

That is a franchise I don't think I'll ever understand. Certainly the Transformers cartoon might have brought in a few people and maybe Bay's name? It could just an aberration.As you might tell, I'm sill pretty conflicted about PR.

Admittedly, I'm conflicted about it as well. I always have at least one movie that I like to take a calculated risk on each summer. It's PR this year.

Past candidates of mine:

2012: Prometheus2011: Super 8

2010: Inception

2009: Star Trek

2008: Iron Man, TDK (was one of the few predicting around $500m)

2007: Transformers (but was skeptical until spring-time... I said sub-$200m when it was filming in 2006, heh)

Edited by ShawnMR

Majority of Sci-fi actually bomb. There is nothing I have seen and nothing about the buzz that makes this look like a blockbuster. But I dont mind being proven wrong on this. Let us wait to see how the buzz is built. Currently I have not seen buzz for anything beyond MOS(may be CF but that is a sequel not coming until fall).

Because they are built on established on existing property. They will easily have more Twitter talk, facebook likes etc.But PR will kick both their asses worldwide.

When it seemed like Green Lantern was gonna do quite well early in it's OW somebody went through the whole GL thread on BOM dishing crow to anyone who had anything negative to say. I forgot who that was.

Jedi and some other guy

Im seeing this in a few hours. I decided to convince at least 5 family members to come since I cant my GF. Theyre older and IDK if they want to sit through 5 minutes of credits. Are the end scenes really worth it? Is it something leading up to another movie or is it just a conversation?

When it seemed like Green Lantern was gonna do quite well early in it's OW somebody went through the whole GL thread on BOM dishing crow to anyone who had anything negative to say. I forgot who that was.

That was Mattrek.
  • Like 2

Without technology, Star Wars would have gone nowhere, the universe Lucas created was amazing but without the tools he created to make that world alive, Star Wars would have been nothing but a bleep on the radar, nothing more.

Star Wars was a technological revolution.

I remember a special on A&E about this. Supposedly, all the top-billed actors thought the movie was gonna bomb HARD. Then finally when they were able to watch the final cut of the movie.. that intro scene with that fighter being chased by that humongous star destroyer, they were just flabbergasted and were instant converts.

ILM was definitely a big, big part of the movie being such a world-wide phenomenon.

Edited by jse

Admittedly, I'm conflicted about it as well. I always have at least one movie that I like to take a calculated risk on each summer. It's PR this year.Past candidates of mine:2012: Prometheus2011: Super 82010: Inception2009: Star Trek2008: Iron Man, TDK (was one of the few predicting around $500m)2007: Transformers (but was skeptical until spring-time... I said sub-$200m when it was filming in 2006, heh)

I have a feeling you track record will get back on track this year. :)
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Transformers had the brand name, and Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg  attached so again, had advantages Pacific Rim does not

That's why it won't open to $100 million. :)

Admittedly, I'm conflicted about it as well. I always have at least one movie that I like to take a calculated risk on each summer. It's PR this year. 2011: Super 8

I remember being more excited for Cowboys and Aliens at one time  :lol:I think I'd still be pleased with either C&A or Super 8 numbers for PR, if that's the low end that'd be fine.

Still crossing my fingers in hopes Guillermo del Toro completes his Hellboy trilogy. Hellboy II floored me. I remember prefering that moviegoing experience to The Dark Knight. After seeing a bizarro superhero flick with such grand imagination, everything aside from The Joker in The Dark Knight let me flat when I saw it a week later.

I remember being more excited for Cowboys and Aliens at one time  :lol:I think I'd still be pleased with either C&A or Super 8 numbers for PR, if that's the low end that'd be fine.

It seems like those kinda numbers would be pretty bad. idk what the price tag on PR is tho.

• Founder / Operator

Ugh, yeah I predicted high for C&A too. I knew that was a mistake as summer began, but was too stubborn to let go. It had so many high profile names going for it. Too many, as it turns out.