Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

It's a movie that keeps getting better. First 20 minutes = troublingly bad. Next hour = really good stuff. Hour after that = I-feel-like-a-kid-in-a-comic-book-store goodness. 

Perfect description. iJack called me a hater last year when I came home Friday night and said the first 15 minutes of it sucked but I LOVED the rest of it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the severe discrepancy in quality between the opening scene and the rest of the movie. My theory is that no one came to watch Fury and Hawkeye dicking around with the Tesseract. In my case I was wanting to see Iron Man, the Hulk, and Captain America. Didn't really care about Thor, but was pleasantly surprised as the movie introduced him and his conflict with Loki.

Oh, when I went to see IM3, most people were ho hum at all the trailers showing, (including Star Trek and MOS) and the beginning of Thor 2, but when Loki shows up at the end, the boom from the crowd was very deafening. Thor is going to be big from both the male and female demos. Loki very well might end up being the Jack Sparrow of the Avengers universe after everything is said and done.

Loki is like Spike in the Buffyverse. One thing about Whedon, he always knows how to milk a breakout character. I'm sure Loki will show up in TA2 as well.

Which is crazy because usually the third act is where these movies completely fall apart

Yup, TA remains the only SH film where I've liked the third act the most. How the sequel will top that spectacle remains to be seen.

• Like 1

You shouldn't have to "transform" into the Joker when you were born to play the role like Nicholson was.

I'm going to reiterate the saying, in that it's not that I love Ledger's Joker less, but Nicholson's Joker more. To this day, once of my favorite superhero movie quotes was Jack's "Wait till they get a load of me!" Loved it!

Which is crazy because usually the third act is where these movies completely fall apart

Yep, that was my feeling when I first saw it and still is to this day. Even Iron Man fell victim to this with the Transformers battle during the climax. The only other superhero flick I would say that avoids the fate of falling apart in the climax is Mask of the Phantasm, but it's an animated film and kind of stands on its own compared to the rest.

Perfect description. iJack called me a hater last year when I came home Friday night and said the first 15 minutes of it sucked but I LOVED the rest of it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the severe discrepancy in quality between the opening scene and the rest of the movie. My theory is that no one came to watch Fury and Hawkeye dicking around with the Tesseract. In my case I was wanting to see Iron Man, the Hulk, and Captain America. Didn't really care about Thor, but was pleasantly surprised as the movie introduced him and his conflict with Loki.

Honestly on rewatch, the first 40 minutes are quite dull. Not until Thor arrives does it start picking up a bit.

Honestly on rewatch, the first 40 minutes are quite dull. Not until Thor arrives does it start picking up a bit.

Agreed. I remember almost nothing before the forest fight. It's a pity Thor doesn't really have anything to do after that except get beaten up by Hulk, but someone was always going to draw the short straw screentime-wise.

Edited by Hatebox

It really starts getting good when the guys are bickering like a bunch of drama queens on the ship. That scene is fuckin' awesome. The dialogue plus the camera angles that Whedon chose were really great.

My two favourite superhero movies are the Burton Batman movies. Maybe it's just because I'd watch them over and over and over again when I was a kid and they had a pretty huge effect on me and my decision to become obsessive about film in general, but they're still the two I get the most out of today as well.

• Like 3

Yeah all the stuff leading up to Thor and Iron Man fighting over Loki kinda feels like a prologue, but I think the fact that it's a little slow helps make everything else feel even more eventful

Both of them have like 15 minutes that bother the shit out of me and keep me from giving them above an 8. Other than that, they are really great movies.

I'm not a huge fan of the Shield Base scene at the beginning of the movie.

And I really don't like the cell-phone sonar scene in TDK. That just totally didn't work for me. (Even though the great drama in the scene still worked. The execution or delivery of that scene just felt wrong.)

That said, superhero movies always deserve a bit of extra slack, because the whole point is that they're taking something off a comic page and putting it on screen. There's a reason it took a long long long long time for superhero movies to really catch on the way they have the past decade or so.

After all, we are supposed to believe that a spider-bite can somehow give someone amazing powers, or that being exposed to yellow sunlight radiation will somehow give an alien body from another solar system the strength to spin the earth backwards on its axis to turn back time.

The intro isn't that bad, Hiddleston is great and has some awesome lines. Obviously the rest of the movie is far better though.

That intro was boring. I always skip it on my dvd.

Posted Image

• Like 3

My two favourite superhero movies are the Burton Batman movies. Maybe it's just because I'd watch them over and over and over again when I was a kid and they had a pretty huge effect on me and my decision to become obsessive about film in general, but they're still the two I get the most out of today as well.

Batman 89 is probably my favorite movie ever (notice I'm not calling it the best movie I've ever seen, just my favorite) and Batman Returns is hands down the most underrated superhero movie.

• Like 2

Agreed. I remember almost nothing before the forest fight. It's a pity Thor doesn't really have anything to do after that except get beaten up by Hulk, but someone was always going to draw the short straw screentime-wise.

Thor definitely got the shaft and we were deprived of the Thony banter I thought Whedon would have run away with.

Along w/ the burton movies and the animated series, Batman was really the only superhero I bothered to give the time of day when I was a kid. Never could get into those Superman or Spider-Man cartoons on at the time.

he got to say "you humans are so petty and tiny"

• Like 1

Along w/ the burton movies and the animated series, Batman was really the only superhero I bothered to give the time of day when I was a kid. Never could get into those Superman or Spider-Man cartoons on at the time.

Forgot about the X-Men cartoon. That was pretty rad.

Batman 89 is probably my favorite movie ever (notice I'm not calling it the best movie I've ever seen, just my favorite) and Batman Returns is hands down the most underrated superhero movie.

I really love Batman Returns, and a lot of that is due to Pfeiffer. 

• Like 3

Thor definitely got the shaft and we were deprived of the Thony banter I thought Whedon would have run away with.

He could do it in TA2. I think he was right to focus more on Stony because they were kinda fighting for leadership. And Evans is so googly eyed whenever RDJ`s around.

Plus, I forgive him cause we got that aamzing almost-kiss Thorki moment that is worshipped on tumblr.

• Like 2