Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shawn

How many "Phases" will the MCU get to before a complete reboot?

• Founder / Operator

As comic fans out there are aware, it happens in comic storylines often. And as box office enthusiasts know, there's eventually a point where a given franchise tops out, declines, and forces the studio to go back to the drawing board in every way possible.

We've officially seen Phase 2 start for Marvel now, and it's clear that they have early plans for Phase 3 already. How much further do you think we/they will get before all (or just one) of these characters gets a complete franchise/universe reboot?

• Founder / Operator

I have NOTHING but well-wishes for Ant-Man and Edgar Wright's involvement, but that's another one I'm afraid could start pushing the boundaries a bit too far for general audiences. No idea what to expect from GotG yet.

Gut feeling, I'd say they can make it through at least 3 phases. But when that's over (guessing around 2018), most of these actors are going to leave (Downey especially). Once that happens, I think we'll see some big creative changes.

Mandarin gets proper use in a 2020 Iron Man reboot.

:P

• Founder / Operator

The fact that it isn't a four year gap like last time, I guess.

Ah, makes sense. 4 years to 3 years with the same number of movies. Hmm...

I think it could last beyond Phase 3 if they keep successfully introducing new characters and eventually having them take the place of all the original Phase 1 heroes. If GOTG, Ant-Man and then, say, Black Panther and Doctor Strange (they have been rumored for the longest time it seems) are all successful, there won't be a need to worry about rebooting or recasting the original Avengers as soon as Downey, Evans, Hemsworth and Ruffalo decide they've had enough. I'd be perfectly fine with a constantly rotating and fresh roster of heroes, but Marvel would need to really go out of its way to make sure all the films are at least good and the audiences don't get tired of them. Quality will be a particularly important factor here.

Do they need a reboot. With 1000s of characters to chose from spinoffs, additions to movies are endless. Look at what they will do with IM (Bond him). If they will do that with a character that big, I wouldn't see a problem doing that with CAP, Hulk, Widow, Fury or any of the current roster. Not this will happen within the next 5 years, but by 2020 we might see a replacement being made. Feige has made it known the MCU and CBU are similar, like the comics when a character dies (I know they come back) or they get replaced, the same can happen in the movieverse, just do a smooth transition.

First, off Avengers 2 and 3 will make just as much if not more than Avengers 1.

Second, once Marvel finishes phase three with Avengers 3 they can move into new territory. They already hinted this by announcing Dr. Strange.

Third, people may get tired of the solo spin off movies but they won't get tired of Avengers anytime soon. We're looking at another Spider-man or Batman franchise that can be given endless sequels and reboots because the fanbase is so broad and loyal. These franchises will never make less than 700 m unless the studio sabotages them and totally ignores the entire fanbase. But the days of Joel Schumacher are long behind us. Studios will bend over backwards to please the fanboys because doing so is now a proven formula for success.

First, off Avengers 2 and 3 will make just as much if not more than Avengers 1.

Second, once Marvel finishes phase three with Avengers 3 they can move into new territory. They already hinted this by announcing Dr. Strange.

Third, people may get tired of the solo spin off movies but they won't get tired of Avengers anytime soon. We're looking at another Spider-man or Batman franchise that can be given endless sequels and reboots because the fanbase is so broad and loyal. These franchises will never make less than 700 m unless the studio sabotages them and totally ignores the entire fanbase. But the days of Joel Schumacher are long behind us. Studios will bend over backwards to please the fanboys because doing so is now a proven formula for success.

Dr. Strange is likely Phase 3 (next movie after Ant-Man) which means pre-The Avengers 3. If you mean sequels then yes they would be post Phase 3. IM3 has shown that people don't get tired of solo movies as does MoS tracking, Nolan's Batman trilogy, expectations for TDW/CAP2.

I imagine that Phase 3 will begin the shift into new characters with Avengers 3 probably capping off the involvement of some originals. Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, etc.

If Marvel gets Fantastic Four back that would inject new heroes and villains into the mix for use.

X-Men, even if reverted back to Marvel, should remain distinct from the MCU because of how expansive that franchise is on its own.

I hope that all the current principle actors are kept around for Avengers 3.   After that I would prefer any new Avengers movies have an entirely new cast.  I know recasting is inevitable, but I think it would be weird to have, say, Avengers 3 and 4 have the same Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk and Ant-Man, but different Captain Americas, Thors and Iron Mans.

I imagine that Phase 3 will begin the shift into new characters with Avengers 3 probably capping off the involvement of some originals. Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, etc.

If Marvel gets Fantastic Four back that would inject new heroes and villains into the mix for use.

X-Men, even if reverted back to Marvel, should remain distinct from the MCU because of how expansive that franchise is on its own.

I agree with you.  While I like the X-Men, frankly I do not like that they inhabit the same universe as the rest of the characters.  It never made sense to me.  People fear mutants, but if you got your powers through cosmic rays like the Fantastic Four, then you're celebrities?  Odd.

But I don't expect X-Men will ever revert anyway.  Similar with Spider-Man.  I would have thought Fantastic Four might, but they are rebooting it in 2015.  In terms of commercial drawing power, Wolverine and Spider-Man are the only characters I could see added to the Avengers lineup that would excite general audiences, but it just never will happen.  Fantastic Four would be cool for its villains, and that adding them would allow for bigger scope plot lines like Civil War that would be hard to do otherwise.

No chance of a universal reboot anytime soon. Feige has said recast over reboot so I'll take his word. Now, they're 1000's of characters in Marvel library so they can continue to make movies with profit as Marvel brand name alone will make sure GOTG, BP  Ant-man, Ms. Marvel and Dr. Strange aren't financial failures. This will continue for decades and no end in sight especially with Feige in power. That man has a golden touch and he'll make the right decisions for the future of MCU.  :D  :D  :D