filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

With no animated competition I'm thinking it could actually see a weekly increase somewhere down the line. That's what happened with Antz in 1998 the week of Veterans Day. Antz had a 3.85 multiplier off the pre-Halloween week.

Edited by AniNate

Captain Phillips didn't have 4 consecutive sub 30 weekends just putting that here. The basic premise is solid though, what happened there is likely to happen to Wild Robot, variation in the drops maybe one straying too close to or over 30. Likely but not guaranteed, even minor differences in drops throws the math off on that one way or the other when working with numbers on the smaller end like we are. I think it really is just too early to say how it's going to perform in that theatrical and competition free dead zone to come. Even this weekend wasn't super helpful on trying to gauge it's future due to the pre holiday inflation on Sunday. 

I don't see an increase in the Wild Robots future though barring a PLF expansion or something. Just a different movie going environment now than back then. At best it gets an extremely low week to week drop. 

Edited by wattage

8 minutes ago, wattage said:

I don't see an increase in the Wild Robots future though barring a PLF expansion or something. Just a different movie going environment now than back then. At best it gets an extremely low week to week drop. 

Veterans Day is still a holiday that some schools get off, and apart from that week Antz's late legs weren't anything super out of the ordinary compared to more recent animated movies; just benefited from a lack of a competition for awhile much the same way TWR is looking to. I do think it may also benefit to a certain extent as a family election season palate cleanser as well.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1