Cobra (1986)

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Cobra is one of the most cardboard characters I have ever seen. I know I don't have a monopoly on that opinion but what I do think about the movie is not the general consensus. I actually love this movie. I love all the cheeseball scenes of violence. I love the macho lines. I love the supporting characters. I think we can all agree that Cobra wasn't going for the Oscars here. But what it does is entertains you for 90 minutes, and the script is so fresh with one liners that you can't wait for the next one to pop up. One of my favourites is when Ingrid? says to Cobra " What's wrong? You look so mad. " and he replies, " I always get this way before breakfast." If these are the kind of lines that you can stomach and not really care about seeing the next Gandhi or Out Of Africa, then this is the film for you. George P. Cosmatos has directed some excellent pictures with Rambo and Tombstone, Cobra is about as fun as those ones. Sure the plot is lacking and we never really find out what the New World was supposed to be or what it was supposed to accomplish, but it is the execution that makes this film the hoot that it is. And did I mention the script? Because it really is funny, and it makes Stallone's Cobra look to be the toughest man alive.

But if you want to be mindlessly entertained for 90 minutes, see Cobra. It's action packed, the characters are cliché so that you can laugh at them and the script is funny. Don't look for Cobra to be something that it was never meant to be. It's not going to teach you anything valuable about life. It's just good, fun entertainment. That's it.

8/10