Films

TOP 25 MUSICALS EVER: THE RESULTS. Countdown finished

This one is my own summary and not copied from Wikipedia

17. Les Miserables- 64 points

The 2012 film based on the musical starred Hugh Jackman [nominated for best actor at the Oscars], Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway [winner for best supporting actress at the Oscars and pretty much every other award ceremony that year], Amanda Seyfried, Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter, Eddie Redmayne and the amazing Samantha Barks. It was a massive box office hit earning 440M on a budget of just 61M. The film earned 148M in North America and 60M in the UK. The film had good reviews with a 70% approval rating and it was nominated for 8 Oscars including best picture, 9 Bafta's including best picture and won 3 awards out of 4 at the Golden Globes for Jackman and Hathaway's performances and best picture- musical or comedy. The film was pushed back two weeks from it's original release date to 25th December and I Dreamed A Dream is the most known song. The teaser trailer was shown with snow white and the huntsman, the bourne legacy and eventually best picture winner argo. It got a standing ovation at it's first showing in New York and it premiered at the empire, Leicester square in London [i was there yesterday]. I absolutely love this film and highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen this to watch the film and the play

• Like 3

16. Grease- 66 points

Grease is a 1978 American musical film directed by Randal Kleiser and produced by Paramount Pictures.[2] It is based on Warren Casey and Jim Jacobs' 1971 musical of the same name about two lovers in a 1950s high school. The film stars John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, and Jeff Conaway. It was successful both critically and at the box office. Its soundtrack album ended 1978 as the second-best selling album of the year in the United States, behind the soundtrack of Saturday Night Fever, another film starring Travolta.[3]

• Like 1

13. Moulin Rouge- 72 points

2001 Australian–American romantic pastiche-jukebox musical film directed, produced, and co-written by Baz Luhrmann. It tells the story of a young English poet/writer, Christian (Ewan McGregor), who falls in love with the terminally-ill star of the Moulin Rouge, cabaret actress and courtesan Satine (Nicole Kidman). It uses the musical setting of the Montmartre Quarter of Paris, France. At the 74th Academy Awards, the film was nominated for eight Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Actress for Nicole Kidman, winning two: for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design. It was the first musical nominated for Best Picture in 10 years, following Disney's Beauty and the Beast (1991).

• Like 1

This one is not copied from Wikipedia

12. The Muppets- 73 points

Jason Segal, Nicholas Stoller and James Bobin revitalised a dormant franchise with the muppets that followed the title cast trying to get back their old studio by putting on a show with help from new muppet Walter, Gary [Jason Segal] and Amy Adams being fantastic as usual as Mary. There were cameos from people such as Emily Blunt [spoofing her character from the devil wears prada], Selena Gomez, Neil Patrick Harris and Jack Black. The film was originally called the greatest muppet movie of all time and the cheapest muppet movie ever made. It was originally scheduled for Christmas 2011. Ricky Gervais, Lady Gaga and Danny Trejo were all set for cameos in this film but were cut out because of time constraints [though Gervais played the main live action role in the muppets most wanted and gaga and trejo both had cameos]. The main song which won the Oscar was man or muppet but my favourite song was me party [which Amy Adams is amazing on of course]. There were many spoof trailers and they also appeared on the x-factor to promote the film. It has fantastic reviews with 96% on RT and an A cinema score. It was also a massive box office success earning 165.1M on a budget of 45M. It got nominations at awards such as the BAFTA'S and Grammy's. A fantastic film that I give a massive recommend to.

• Like 2

5. Tangled- 144 points

The start of the new Disney Renaissance period [and 1 of 5 films in the top 5 from any of the two Disney Renaissance's] was loosely based on Rapunzel and was released on Thanksgiving 2010 as the 50th title from Walt Disney Animated Studios. It is the second most expensive film of all time costing 260M to make but did well at the box office earning just shy of 600M [200M from North America]. The title was changed from Rapunzel to Tangled which caused a lot of controversy. The film was made using CGI and the soundtrack reached a peak of #44 on Billboard top 200. The film was a massive seller on DVD and had great reviews with 89% on RT. On cinemascore, it was one of the films that has a rare A+ rating. The film was nominated for 1 Oscar and 2 golden globes. Tangled Ever After was a short following up the events from Tangled.

Another film I highly recommend, a fantastic and lovely film from Disney with great characters.

• Like 3

4. Beauty And The Beast- 186 points

The 1991 animation from Walt Disney [like number 1,2 and 5] based on the French fairy tale was originally tried to be made in the 30's and 50's but got made after the success of the little mermaid for a release in 1991. On cinema score it got a rare A+ score. It received a 10 minute long standing ovation after being show at the New York Film Festival. It screened out of competition at Cannes and premiered at the El Capitan. The film got a 3D release in 2012. It earned a massive 424M WW on a budget of just 25M. It has a 93% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and was nominated for 6 Oscars including Best Picture and won 2, it won best picture comedy or musical at the golden globes [only repeated by lion king and toy story 2 among animation films] and had 8 nominations at the Grammy Awards. A show was made on Broadway in 1994 and ran until 2007.  It is still Broadway's 8th longest running show in History and there is still a shorter musical production at Disney World. There are many video games based on this film.

• Like 4

Joint 2nd- The Lion King- 205 points

The 32nd movie from Walt Disney Animation Studios was loosely based on the biblical tales of Joseph and Moshe and on Hamlet [3 things I have learned about this year at school] which follows the life of the amazing lion Simba- one of the best ever Disney characters. It was a massive box office success earning nearly 1 billion Worldwide [987M] on just a 45M budget. The soundtrack featured music from Elton John and amazing songs such as the circle of life and the lion sleeps tonight. The film also features fun sidekicks Timon and Pumbaa, Nala, Musafa and the evil Scar- one of the best villains in movie history.

The film trailer was the scene for the circle of life and Disney earned over 1 billion in toys and merchandise sales for this film including 214 million in Christmas 1994. Disney did 11 test screenings for this film and it got a 3D release in September 2011 which earned a fantastic total at the box office of 94M just from North America [expectations were about 45M, this was one of my favourite box office runs]. There have been many special editions of this film on DVD as well as 2 direct to dvd sequels. Sales totalled more than 30M on DVD and the film at the box office is the 19th biggest of all time and is only beaten by two animated films- Toy Story 3 and Frozen [remember that latter film].

Continuing a top 5 trend, it also earned a rare A+ cinema score. The reviews were fantastic with 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, the film is ranked on many best of lists and there was a bit of controversy due to the comparisons with Kimba the White Lion. The film received 4 nominations at the Golden Globes [winning 2 for best musical or comedy and best original score] and 4 nominations at the Oscars [winning 2 for best original score and can you feel the love tonight]. A stage adaptation was made and is one of the most successful musicals of all time and it is still running today in many countries. It is the 4th longest running musical in America and the financial success lead to adaptations all over the world. There is a festival of the lion king show at Walt Disney world.

This is one of my favourite films of all time because of the beautiful animation, amazingly developed characters, an amazing story and a fantastic musical that deserves this high ranking on the list of top 25 musicals ever

• Like 4

This one is my own summary and not copied from Wikipedia

17. Les Miserables- 64 points

The 2012 film based on the musical starred Hugh Jackman [nominated for best actor at the Oscars], Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway [winner for best supporting actress at the Oscars and pretty much every other award ceremony that year], Amanda Seyfried, Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter, Eddie Redmayne and the amazing Samantha Barks. It was a massive box office hit earning 440M on a budget of just 61M. The film earned 148M in North America and 60M in the UK. The film had good reviews with a 70% approval rating and it was nominated for 8 Oscars including best picture, 9 Bafta's including best picture and won 3 awards out of 4 at the Golden Globes for Jackman and Hathaway's performances and best picture- musical or comedy. The film was pushed back two weeks from it's original release date to 25th December and I Dreamed A Dream is the most known song. The teaser trailer was shown with snow white and the huntsman, the bourne legacy and eventually best picture winner argo. It got a standing ovation at it's first showing in New York and it premiered at the empire, Leicester square in London [i was there yesterday]. I absolutely love this film and highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen this to watch the film and the play

Budget was only 61 Million. Guess most of the top starring actors took low salaries, and back door profit points?