baumer

Atomic Blonde (2017)

Grade it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 8/31/2017 at 10:10 AM, Blankments said:

The most annoying part of all the characters being underwritten though is that the plot is overwritten. No one goes to see an action film like Atomic Blonde for the plot. Yet for some reason, this movie stretches out the generic plot of two Mission: Impossible films and a few Bond films into two hours of convolution that constantly confuses in an obnoxious sense. The film frequently spends far too much time on this plot too, going a full half hour at one point with no action at all, just a plot full of similar looking characters re-enacting tropes audiences know by heart now.

I walked into this movie like "I need to pay attention, people have found it difficult to follow."

"Okay, they have to get the thing" quickly turned into ".....Okay well I can just watch them walk around and interact with each other, that works." because I did think (At least McAvoy) was entertaining enough to watch on a personal standpoint. Part of me appreciates that they wanted to try something a little smarter, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't have been a little clearer to understand.

Charlize is always a blast to watch in movies like this, I really liked how she got fatigued in battles along with her opponent because they were genuinely fighting. None of this "Guys Smash, Girls Shoot" shit, actual beatdowns. 

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, the locations, cinematography, and music were enough to keep me engaged.  While watching I was thinking that in the first parts with the blue - black with the occasional pop of color reminded me of Rocknrolla but that's like black - yellow/gold/dingy tan and hardly ever adds another color. I would watch a sequel but they would really have to clear up that story.

• Like 1