rockNrollaDIM

Commander In Chief

Posted Image

Ok, so I'll be shocked if anyone else has seen this.

But this past week on Netflix I watched the first and only season of Commander in Chief. It stars Geena Davis as the first female president (also the first Independent president), which she becomes after the sitting president dies (she was VP). Donald Sutherland co-stars as the Speaker of the House and her political rival.

I thought the show was really entertaining, but it definitely went off the deep end at times. Sutherland's character was just TOO diabolical. As heated and dirty as the political landscape is in America, I don't think it's THAT bad. This was a sitting Speaker of the House actively plotting to undermine the president at every turn, engaging in borderline illegal activities to do it, and Sutherland played the character as an archetypal villain... long monologues, evil laugh, constantly plotting.. It just wasn't realistic.

Not to mention, in the span of one year, the current president dies, is replaced by the female VP (who was asked to step down BTW), there's hostage situations in Pakistan, she narrowly averts a nuclear war with North Korea, and her appendix bursts in one episode causing Sutherland's character to temporarily become "Acting President" in which he spends a day reversing her policies. Oh and her VP, who takes months for her to appoint, steps down after a couple months on the job because his wife is sick- but he won't allow her to say why to the public.

Despite all this crazy I still thought it was a good show and it definitely had potential, if they could work out the kinks in season 2. Geena Davis is really talented. And very tall. It's too bad it got cancelled.

I watched this when it aired, and don't have a clue as to what happened with the characters, it's been that long! :o I remember her husband was played by Kyle Secor, so he was the "First Man", and he had problems coming to terms of what his role in the White House was (just like the First Ladies of the past). I really enjoyed it, and was upset that it was cancelled. I can remember voicing frustration on the messageboards I was a member of at the time. :(
  • Like 1