1 member has voted

1. 1. Grade Casa De Mi Padre

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Casa De Mi Padre - Reseña de Película

Esta película comienza con una secuencia de títulos que está literalmente en llamas --- Stop. Nevermind. I was going to do this entirely in spanish, but... nah.

I went to the theater in the afternoon on a Wednesday in a college town where limited releases are hardly ever allowed in. So, I was obviously alone in the theater when I watched it. I let loose with my laughter, I spread out over the seats, and tried not to make a mess with my snacks for the ushers. Which was neat. I haven't had a private screening for something since my days working at a movie theater. But I digress...

It's a movie entirely in spanish, pretty self-aware that it's in spanish (being released in America where English reigns), cheaply made, and basically a good spoof of telenovelas. I'm all for self-aware. A lot of the visual gags work here like how someone rich is smoking in almost every scene, or drinking some sort of alcohol. There's a wedding interrupted by a shooting, there's close ups of actors eyes as they gaze into each other longingly, there's obvious green screen and small warehouse sets being used, but it all fits with the spoof thing. (sidenote: I loved Nick Offerman's cameo in this as DEA agent)

It does get a bit over the top, which is all what they're going for, but a lot of the jokes are the kind where the joke is drawn out at the end of the scene. So the scene feels like it goes on for 20 minutes before they cut away. Those kind of jokes irk me. And it maybe gets a bit too cute with a letter to the audience about a budget cut in the middle of the movie. Mostly jokes hit. Some of the time the jokes don't. Those parts get boring quick.

It's pretty goofy, over the top, hilarious in some parts, plain silly in others. Nothing deep here, just a spoof that's pretty good at being a silly spoof.

"Like it." or 6.5/10

After the Credits! There's a bunch! There's a song played and performed by Ferrell and Genesis Rodriguez that's basically a goofy spanish recap of the movie. And also after the entire credits there's a short little commercial for cigarettes (fittingly.)