Harriet (2019)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I gave this film a B. The film is a fairly straightforward biopic, and the critics saying it looks like a TV movie are definitely justified. But I still really like this movie! What it lacks in pizzazz, it gains in sincerity. Also, Cynthia Erivo is believable as Harriet Tubman; I didn't feel like I watching a person act onscreen. Joe Alwyn also had a great role, and Janelle Monae shined with the little screentime she had; unfortunately, I think she had too little screentime to be viable for an Oscar nomination this time around.

I'll say, the film did a great job displaying a wide range of characters, which gave the film a sense that its version of pre-Civil-War America was this living, breathing world. The film often feels like a theaterical play, but the characters were differentiated as they were in the 2012 Les Miserables. Yes, I would compare Harriet to the 2012 Les Miserables faster than I'd compare it to a biopic like, say, Darkest Hour.

I think it's worth seeing in theaters if you're curious enough! The film did exactly what it needed to do, and it'll certainly have a presence in history classrooms across America (if not at the Oscars).

An effectively restrained biopic of Harriet Tubman that's well-crafted and certainly well-acted. Cynthia Erivo is an actress blessed with the ability to convey so much with just her soulful eyes alone, and she perfectly captures Harriet's determination in a remarkable performance that is likely to earn her a deserved Oscar nomination, while she's surrounded by a strong cast that includes Leslie Odom Jr., Janelle Monae, and Joe Alwyn (who seems to be solidifying himself as one of Hollywood's go-to actors to play reprehensible characters). It feels like it could be a much more hard-hitting movie had it played it less safe and conventional, but it's often compelling thanks to Erivo alone. B

• Like 1