• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

9 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Lol, no one saw this?

I did!

Never read the book but did hear about the controversies over its "problematic" material beforehand (and of course, the behind the scenes drama over this movie that blew up over the past week lol). I definitely don't think the movie glamorizes domestic violence at all (and from reading the Wiki plot summary for the book, it sounds like this is a pretty faithful adaptation for the most part), even if it does take a rather superficial approach to complex topics (such as why women stay in abusive relationships, breaking a cycle of abuse, etc.) and favors melodrama that puts it too close to Lifetime territory for my liking. Despite those issues, though, I did think this was compelling more often than not, largely thanks to an excellent lead performance from Blake Lively that might be the best of her career. I ultimately felt the same way about this as I did Justin Baldoni's previous theatrical release, 2019's Five Feet Apart: a sentimental drama that threatens to drown in its soap opera elements, but a strong performance from its main actress (Haley Lu Richardson in that, Lively here) allows for it all to go down painlessly. B-