The Devil's Rejects (2005)

1 member has voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Last House in the middle of nowhere4 October 2005"I am the devil, and I am here to do the devil's work."THE DEVIL'S REJECTS is musician-turned director Rob Zombie's follow up to his directorial debut HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSE, which was given a substantial theatrical release but didn't really find it's true audience until it's video launch. Instead of rehashing the same story as House of 1000 Corpses, Zombie was smart enough and ballsy enough to do what so few director's do, especially in the horror genre, and that is to further the story. He has expanded on the story, given the characters more depth and allowed us to get to know them even more than we did in the first. While the first film tipped it's cap to many of the horror icons of the 70's, this one seems to have more of it's own identity. At first glance it feels like a pimped out spaghetti western similar to a gunfight at the O.K. Corral, there is enough original ideas in here to make a second sequel.The sequel's focal point is also the Firefly clan, a Texas family whose favorite pastime is senseless (is there another kind?) murder. In the prior film, one of their victims was a police officer named George Wydell (Tom Towles, 1990's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD). In the opening sequence of THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, one of George's relatives, the sheriff (William Forsythe, EXTREME PREJUDICE) is leading a raid on the Firefly's farmhouse. During the raid, all hell breaks loose as one of the family members is murdered, three escape and member of the family is captured, this being mama Firefly. Long-haired sociopath Otis (Bill Moseley, THE Texas CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2), brutal, pathological sex kitten, Baby (Sheri Moon Zombie, TOOLBOX MURDERS), and massive and deformed Tiny (Matthew McGrory, BIG FISH) escape, Tiny escapes into the woods and remains near the farmhouse, but Otis and Baby murder an innocent woman and steal her car, setting out on the road. They're joined on the way by Captain Spaulding (Sid Haig, FOXY BROWN), Baby's father, professional clown, and man responsible for luring innocent victims into the Firefly's web. Together, the three begin a nationwide murder spree while traveling to Charlie's (Ken Foree, DAWN OF THE DEAD) Fun Frontier Town, a place where sex and drugs flow freely for a price and is owned by an old friend of Spaulding's.The strength of Zombie's two films is his eye for detail and his homage to 70's films he seems to love, like many of us do. There is a sometimes documentary style feel to this film as you seem to watching all of this debauchery unfold in front of your eyes. While I enjoyed HOUSE immensely, I have to admit that this one is better. The characters are more polished, the acting is much more cerebral and adding to the panache of the film is William Forsythe. I have to admit that I have been a fan of him since his turn as BUCK ATWATER in WALTER HILL'S EXTREME PREJUDICE. Here, he shines as the revenge obsessed sheriff, who not only wants the FIREFLY'S arrested, he wants them dead. How Zombie lured Forsythe into this role is a great mystery, but it works well.I found it interesting how Zombie has created a film where the line between heroes and villains is blurred to the point where it nearly ceases to exist, with Sheriff Wydell's lust for revenge against the Fireflys being nearly as sadistic and menacing as the family themselves. What I enjoyed was the comeuppance dished out by the maniacal but grieving Forsythe character. He has become just like the criminals he is trying to punish and that is refreshing. Too many times I see the good guys take the high road and refuse to become "like them". That doesn't wash with me and to see the retribution here is not only refreshing, but it is realistic.Overall, THE DEVIL'S REJECTS is a hard film to write a review for as I've no wish to spoil its many grisly secrets and horrifying themes. I'll conclude by saying this is a great film for true fans of horror and exploitation films and a massive improvement to HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES. Its not for everyone (even horror fan who prefer THE GRUDGE/BOOGEYMAN-style thrills may be annoyed), but if you're prepared to accept its hardcore, unapologetic demeanor and nasty characters, you're in for hell of a ride.9/10