baumer

Bad Words (2014)

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The funniest film I've seen since Wolf of Wall Street and This is the End.  Funny from start to finish and not only funny but a terrific film from start to end.  Jason Bateman stars in and directs this film about a fish out of water scenario.  He plays a 40 year old who finds a loop-hole into letting him into a spelling contest for 11 year olds.  There's a reason why he's doing it and it's revealed at the end and it's a good one.  The story is nice, the humour is raw, unapologetic and it's fast.  This is a terrific script and it's a shame not many have seen this.

9/10

Edited by baumer

The funniest film I've seen since Wolf of Wall Street and This is the End.  Funny from start to finish and not only funny but a terrific film from start to end.  Jason Bateman stars in and directs this film about a fish out of water scenario.  He plays a 40 year old who finds a loop-hole into letting him into a spelling contest for 11 year olds.  There's a reason why he's doing it and it's revealed at the end and it's a good one.  The story is nice, the humour is raw, unapologetic and it's fast.  This is a terrific script and it's a shame not many have seen this. 10/10

Bateman is great in this. So mean-spirited towards everyone and the world, until the end?

I feel like the movie wants to go deeper and dirtier into its satire of the competitive nature of academia, especially when children are involved, which is why the feel-good ending sort of felt out of place to me. That's not to say that a happy ending would have worked for the film, but I feel like the film is pulled between relentless foul-mouthed satire and a sweet story of arrested development (pun incidental) that it fails to take a firm grasp on either story. Having said that, the movie's not without some great humor, including a great darkly comic performance from Jason Bateman and several funny gags (namely when he and the Indian kid keep intentionally misspelling words) that make it worth my while.

It joins films like Cedar Rapids and Jeff Who Lives At Home on the list of decent early spring comedies that aren't really that memorable.