3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

probably the most heartbreaking movie i've ever seen. the word bittersweet isn't properly defined as long as the ending of this film is excluded from the definition. masterpiece.

10/10

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

This is a Malick misfire to me.

All his films are poetry in motion, so of course it's beautiful and has some breath-taking images.  And yet, I couldn't get past this sense of disconnection that seemed to pervade the whole movie.  It would occasionally hit an emotional chord with me, but too often it just seemed uninvolving.....I always felt like I was at least an arm's length away from the characters and what was going on.  I don't mind a slow pace, but a connection to the film and characters is a must in order for it to work.

I will say the final shots of the pristine natural world as it once existed are devastating, particularly the ever so subtle swaying of the trees as the final shot.

C+