baumer

About time (2013)

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

What we have here is a film that simply doesn't know what it wants to be.

The fad it seems to me is the romantic comedy that tries to be more.  They try to skirt the cliches and mundane fodder that plague estrogen-driven drivel.  Thankfully, this film does manage that, but it unfortunately fails in other areas.

The problem here is development.  Not only development relating to the characters (that is a problem as well), but development relating to story, mood, tone, message, etc.  It not's really a love story, not really a father-son film, and not really about time travel.  It tries to take on all these issues at different parts of the film, and never really works as a result.

What the film is, however, is one that tries to take on too much, and doesn't have the talent to back it up.  I could honesty see this working if the film had been more focused going in.  It's sporadically funny in parts, and there is a charming chemistry to McAdams and Domhnall Gleeson.  Unfortunately, none of the strengths are allowed to gain any kind of momentum.

It could have been worse, but nonetheless, Chick Flick Monday strikes again.
Edited by mattmav45

I kind of loved it. Like Gopher and Baumer said, it's just a pure look at getting older and having a meaningful relationship with a clever twist thrown in. It's kind of the same reason I enjoy Marley & Me more than most. The time travel allows for some very poignant and funny scenes, and you never feel like the movie tries to hard to push this gimmick. Not everything works perfectly in the film, but as it stands, this is a really sweet and special flick, and easily the most underrated film of last year.

A-

• Like 1