The Panda

The Panda's Top 250 Movies of All Time Countdown (FINISHED)

Don't have the necessary skills to do a countdown like this, but if I did my list would look something like this:

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)
2. Jaws (1975)
3. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
5. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
6. Predator (1987)
7. The Terminator (1984)
8. The Thing (1982)
9. Seven (1995)
10. Bloodsport (1988)

11. Halloween (1978)
12. Alien (1979)
13. Aliens (1986)
14. Taxi Driver (1976)
15. Goodfellas (1990)
16. RoboCop (1987)
17. The Shining (1980)
18. Scarface (1983)
19. Mulholland Dr. (2001)
20. Tremors (1990)

21. JFK (1991)
22. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
23. Kill Bill - Vol. 1 (2003)
24. Ghostbusters (1984)
25. L.A. Confidential (1997)
26. Starship Troopers (1997)
27. 12 Monkeys (1995)
28. Reservoir Dogs (1992) 
29. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
30. The Matrix (1999)

31. First Blood (1982)
32. Do the Right Thing (1989)
33. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
33. Speed (1994)
34. The Usual Suspects (1995)
35. Scream (1996)
36. Falling Down (1993)
37. Fight Club (1999)
38. The Truman Show (1998)
39. Boogie Nights (1997)
40. Wild Things (1998)

41. No Country for Old Men (2007)
42. Lethal Weapon (1987)
43. Batman (1989)
44. Memento (2000)
45. Garden State (2004)
46. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (2007)
47. Requiem For A Dream (2000)
48. The Ring (2002)
49. The Fountain (2006)
50. Undefeatable (1994)
  • Like 2

Gypsy (1993)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw0Cm3iY-MU

Yes, this is a made for TV movie, and picked this version simply because it's the best movie version of Gypsy that has been made so far, which makes really excited for the Streisand version which will come out sometime because Gypsy is one of my favorite musicals, with some very powerful sequences (such as the Let Me Entertain You sequence which is my favorite part of the show). 

Edited by The Panda

Risky Business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqE8HomQbrQ

The breakout movie of Tom Cruise, it is funny while also providing a lot more depth than one would think it would bring.  Risky Business is not only a really entertaining movie, but it has also turned into a classic that has left a very resonant impact on its genre.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Toy Story

While the animation (although groundbreaking for its time) doesn't age all that well, it is rightfully regarded as an animated classic (just maybe not quite the classic some make it out to be).  Toy Story is funny, innovative, and movie that spawned a new age of animation.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

A very revolutionary movie for the sci-fi genre, it presented a completely new, unthought of take on the aliens at hand, and in my opinion bests E.T. as Spielberg's iconic alien film.  It is a finely crafted film and is a great ride that represents one of the best of its genre.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

sex, lies, and videotapes

It was Soderbergh's first film, but also one of his best ones by a good margin.  While it may come off as a little pretentious, the cast is phenomenal in their roles, and the dark humor hits the right tone.  With some great commentary over the subject matter, sex lies and videotapes is one of the great independent films.

Edited by The Panda

Bambi

A great coming of age story by Disney, and it's one of my favorite of the classic Disney movies.  It is very touching, with animation that still stands strong to view today. Bambi doesn't just have its emotional connection through the obviously well known sad sections, but the revelations, discoveries, and poetic beauty of the world it creates.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

Up

Up is a beautifully animated movie with some very powerful scenes, this would have placed higher but what really makes this shine are the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes, and the majority of the plot that gets stuck in the middle is commendable but never soars as high as the few thematic moments the movie touched upon.

• Like 3

The Bourne Identity

While the entire trilogy (Jeremy Renner's movie isn't a Bourne movie, Bourne is not in it so I refuse to count it) is invigorating and filled with strong, rich action, this is my personal favorite because of the strong mystery behind it and Bourne's discovery of himself that somewhat lacks in the other two strong installments.  The trilogy as a whole though is one of the highlights of the action franchise.

• Like 2

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzkN7iH59I

What I love about the trilogy (there are only 3 Indiana Jones movies, despite what some claim about some mythical fourth one) is how much of a fun adventure each of them are.  While Temple of Doom is undoubtedly the weakest of the three, it is still great fun to watch time and time again.

• Like 1

Monsters Inc

The animation is still stellar, and Monsters Inc is a movie that really got overlooked (because of Shrek) the year it came out.  Looking back, Monsters Inc is superior to Shrek in nearly every way, by being able to balance out a creative plot, humor, and heartstring pulling moments. Plus, I love the Jazz soundtrack. 

• Like 3

Doctor Zhivago

A very long, and well-crafted epic that is encompassed in the history of the Bolshevik Revolution.  Doctor Zhivago is very grand in its scope, but also is able to narrow down on a smaller, and much more personal story. It is one of the great movies by David Lean.

Starship Troopers

This is a pure, campy, and fun guilty pleasure of mine that I am probably ranking higher than it deserves.  The acting may not be all that strong, but why does that matter in a movie that is about fighting giant alien bugs?  It also helps that there is a good amount of social satire in here to spice up the excessive amounts of gore.

• Like 1

All The King's Men

With a very powerful starring performance, All the King's Men tale of corruption is one of the best that is out there.  The adaption of the source material is strong, and the story still has resonance in society today as an important and relevant tale of lies, power and how it corrupts the persona.

Edited by The Panda

Hot Fuzz

The funniest and best of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost's cornetto trilogy.  The satire is relevant, and stingingly funny just like the rest of Edgar Wright's work and it is one of the best buddy cop movies out there.  Hot Fuzz is a hilarious work of popcorn flick art. 

• Like 4

Memento

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0gi5e7JR9w

Nolan has always been great at taking niche concepts and making them work to make entertaining, and to dark for their own good, thrillers. Memento is by far his best piece of work, the imagery is fantastic, and keeps your mind working throughout the watch.

• Like 3

Adaptation

While I may not be the biggest Being John Malcovich fan, I will say Adaptation is an incredibly well-made and well-written movie with powerful performances.  This movie also marks the last good leading performance Nic Cage would ever give (and second to last performance, he was a good support in Kick-Ass) before he descended into whatever he is today.

• Like 1

The Last Temptation of Christ

Many people have found this film offensive for what it does, but ironically it brings the most relateable Jesus brought to screen.  The story is brilliant, the acting is on a high level, and Scorsese creates an earnest and sincere film that still provokes much controversy today.

Some Like It Hot

A classic with a great sense of humor, boasted by Marilyn Monroe's best performance.  Some Like It Hot has created its own legacy from its sophisticated brilliance, while maintaining a high, yet tamed, energy driving the entire film.

• Like 1

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Alfonso Cuaron stepping up to the directing plate is very evident with this Potter film, which is the best of the bunch.  It is able to create a darker, more exciting tone while also keeping the magic of the first two, as well as putting in the most of heart of the Potter films.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1