The Panda

The Panda's Top 250 Movies of All Time Countdown (FINISHED)

Inside Llewyn Davis

This film got so overlooked last year it's not even funny, it is one of the best movies the Coen Bros have made and is very richly layered.  The songs are well sang, the movie is very unconventional and symbolic, as well as funny with no sense of direction (at first glance) at all.  It is a truly brilliant movie.

Donnie Darko

Another movie that is often overlooked by critics and the public in general.  Donnie Darko has a brilliant script and Jake Gyllenhaal puts on a fantastic leading performance in this off the ball coming of age movie. Donnie Darko is an indie movie that deserves to be watched by all, even if it isn't necessarily loved by all.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Harrison Ford and Sean Connery make a great duo in this sequel, and its the Indy movie that is the closest in quality to the great original.   It is a great load of fun to watch this sprawling adventure that closes off the series in style as the final chapter to the Indiana Jones saga.  (There are only three of them, if you think there's four then you are mistaken)

• Like 2

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This movie is a landmark not for only how great of a film it is, but the fact you had characters owned by two different studios in one movie, imagine that?  It was also a great effects piece, while also being wholesomely entertaining with fun performances.

• Like 2

Mean Girls

Mean Girls is one of those movies that started out as a decent hit and over time became a really well thought of coming of age classic.  Mean Girls is really funny, and it does a great job of creating a caricature of the schools that existed during its time (and the stereotypes that have existed at schools).  Mean Girls is smart, clever, and oddly so likable to the point it gets better with every viewing. 

Just saw this recently. It's really good. Probably wouldn't call it a classic, but still.

Gone With the Wind

This is a racially charged, epic, grand romantic picture, that although I really like, I probably don't rank it as highly or definely as many others might.  That doesn't mean I don't like (actually love) the film like many others do, because it is fantastically made with distinct detail.

The Evil Dead

Another one of the prime examples of a horror movie done right.  The Evil Dead is gritty, disturbing, horrifying, and also surprisingly funny. The Evil Dead is an awful lot of fun, and is one of the best campy movies that has been made.  Oh Sam Raimi, what happened to you, and why do you suck so bad now?

Edited by The Panda

Blade Runner

A dark and epic science fiction film that places Harrison Ford in his 3rd most defining role as an actor (and considering the other two, that says a good deal).  It is a science fiction film with strong themes to convey as well as keeping the audience engaged throughout all of its visual splendor.

• Like 2

Rosemary's Baby

A horror movie where the lead actress (and the entire cast in general) isn't just good but impressively great is more rare in Hollywood today than it is for John Travolta to pronounce a name right in front of an audience.  While, I don't know if it necessarily fits the horror genre completely, it is still suspenseful, frightening, and marvelously put together.

• Like 1

Fiddler on the Roof

As a musical it is definitely one of my personal favorites, and it's one of the rare cases where the film version is the definitive version.  The story has somehow been able to touch me (although most people don't seem to get the same connection), plus If I Were a Rich Man is one of my favorite when it comes to musical numbers.

• Like 1

The Great Escape

The Great Escape is one of the great epics made about World War 2, and a great watch for anybody.  It is an awesome early introduction to the action genre and Steve McQueen shows through he is the good Steve McQueen and not the Oscar whoring sellout like the McQueen of today (No offense McQueen, I loved your movie, but 12YAS' Oscar campaign was borderline pathetic in how hard it was trying). 

• Like 2

Repulsion

A breakout movie for Roman Polanski, while I may not like the director as a man, I highly appreciate the works he has made, and Repulsion near the top of that list. Repulsion is highly engaging and the lead performance given by Catherine is phenomenal and personal.  One of the best horror movies made.

Edited by The Panda

The Last of the Mohicans

This features one of Daniel Day Lewis' star-making roles, the Last of the Mohicans is an impeccably filmed American epic.  It has a great, classic, story to back the well-shot action as well as the sweeping score that is able to lift you up from your seat in a cheer.  It is a fantastic action film with substance.

• Like 2

Star Trek (2009)

Yes, call blasphemy right now, I put the Star Trek (2009) reboot above Wrath of Khan, and I feel no shame for it.  Star Trek (2009) takes much of what I love about Star Trek and combines it with an updated tone with higher stakes, and an extremely clever storyline to not make the reboot sham the old series.  Star Wars is in great hands with JJ Abrams.

• Like 2

Shanghai Express

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEpHOnoE3bY

I think this is one of the oldies that is often overlooked for how great it actually is.  It boasts some great visual scenes, especially for the early year it was released in, and entertains throughout.  Shanghai Express is able to keep your attention, and boasts great directorial style from Sternberg.

Life of Pi

I'll admit, I may be a bit biased with one just because of how much I loved the book (when I read it a while back it literally helped change my way of thinking when I was trying to answer a lot of questions about similar subjects to myself), while obviously it isn't a perfect film, it moved me emotionally (despite leaving out some of the philosophy), and swept me away with the jaw-dropping visuals.

• Like 1

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Sci-Fi is one of my favorite genres because it looks ahead to future, and what I love most in Sci-Fi is when it's more than just a fun tale, but something that examines the world now and how things could shape based on the events and actions we take now.  Invasion of the Body Snatchers encompasses that and leaves you shaken by what you see.

Edited by The Panda

Mean Girls

Mean Girls is one of those movies that started out as a decent hit and over time became a really well thought of coming of age classic.  Mean Girls is really funny, and it does a great job of creating a caricature of the schools that existed during its time (and the stereotypes that have existed at schools).  Mean Girls is smart, clever, and oddly so likable to the point it gets better with every viewing. 

YES. I LOVE THIS FILM SO MUCH. THIS IS IN MY TOP 10 OF ALL TIME (I would guess around #7-#9)
  • Like 1