Coherence (2014)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A very clever Twilight Zone-esque story about a dinner party where things start to get weird.... and then get really weird. It's really more of a pure fantasy using some theoretical science concepts for its ideas, but it's very effective, very clever, and very good at staying ahead of the audience and zagging when you expect it to zig. Quietly unsettling despite basically no budget or VFX at all. The handheld style and editing are annoying and distracting at first (basically that's a byproduct of how the movie was conceived/shot)-- stay with it and you'll get involved. B/B+ for me. Very inventive and far more clever than any recent blockbuster I can think of.

• Like 3

I just watched this and I really enjoyed it. The movie kept tricking me at nearly every turn. The ending itself left me kinda confused with a lot of questions. 

I enjoyed the whole concept of the different versions of the people and it really made me wonder just how many there were.

I would give it a.......

B+(88)

I would recommend everyone to watch it and since it is VOD, it makes it easy to watch. 

• Like 2

Well, that was interesting. A very well-done mystery sci-fi that, even though falls into some horror-ish cliches at times (jump scares, stupid characters), kept me guessing the whole time and even after it had ended. Mostly okay acting and some fine direction on such a small budget.

7/10

Also, that guy Mike looked and sounded almost exactly like Kenny Bania but it was some other actor. Weird considering the plot of the film :thinking:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

I mean, it's pretty great from the start to finish, even the beginning with all that talking is greatly interesting because it's feels natural, but oh man, dat ending is just freaking phenomenal. FUCK ME/10

As a point of curiosity: It's interesting that you didn't care for the editing of STRANGER THINGS (you mentioned the dinner scene in the first episode in particular), when COHERENCE is cut a lot more ragged and choppy with its dinner sequence. (Not a complaint, per se, obviously they were covering the scene reality-style and the end result is always a bit frenetic when you do that.)

22 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

As a point of curiosity: It's interesting that you didn't care for the editing of STRANGER THINGS (you mentioned the dinner scene in the first episode in particular), when COHERENCE is cut a lot more ragged and choppy with its dinner sequence. (Not a complaint, per se, obviously they were covering the scene reality-style and the end result is always a bit frenetic when you do that.)

my first impression was that the dinner scene had a perfectly fine breathing room between cuts, unlike ST's dinner scene. 

well, I guess I was too captivated by everything else to notice it.

the handheld cam did annoy me at first, though. 

Edited by Goffe