Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

Arthur Christmas

220px-Arthur_Christmas_Poster.jpg

Ever since I saw Arthur Christmas back in 2011, it has become a Christmas "classic", alongside Ron Howard's Grinch, the Peanuts movie, Frosty the Snowman, A Christmas Carol, and the Grinch that's not Ron Howard. I watch it every year, and every year it's just as good, and never fails to get me excited for the holiday. Even though the story may not be the most original (a misfit who must save Christmas), it includes everything that symbolizes the holiday for me: family, fun, forgiveness etc. the works. The opening scene that showcases the elves delivering toys James Bond style is so cool, and sets the tone for the rest of the movie brilliantly, making for one of the "fun-est" openings for a movie I have seen in a long time. Honestly, Arthur Christmas is so good, and it surprised even me to discover that it has become my favourite animated film in the past 5 years!

• Like 2

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

220px-The_Hobbit_-_The_Battle_of_the_Fiv

Battle of the Five Armies was to the LOTR saga what Revenge of the Sith was to the Star Wars saga (yes you heard that right). Say what you will about the Star Wars prequels, or the Hobbit films, but Battle of the Five Armies is a visual spectacle that is breathtaking, but not overbearing in the same sense many (rightfully) see Mas of Steel to be. BotFA is also more than just empty spectacle, as the movie added multiple layers of emotional strength that was slightly lacking throughout the first two movies; the movie isn't just a narrative conclusion that ties the two trilogies together, but also an emotional climax that bridges The Hobbit trilogy to the Lord of the Rings, much like Revenge of the Sith. Also, this was the first time I ever experienced applause at the end of a movie, and that was an experience in and of itself.

• Like 2

The Maze Runner

220px-The_Maze_Runner_poster.jpg

The Maze Runner is this high on my list for a couple of reasons. I know it is not a perfect movie, and has many problems. However, as a movie, it means something to me. I was homeschooled for 5 years, and when I first went to public school, I knew no one. The way I met many of my friends was through the Maze Runner book. I was in the middle of reading the book, and so were they. So naturally we became friends, and for over 3 years, we waited and waited for a movie adaptation to come out, eagerly anticipating any news on development. The day it was announced for Feb 14 2014 we were all so excited; and the countdown began. But by the time it came out on Sept 19, one of us (my best friend) moved to Vancouver, so the rest of us actually made a trip to Vancouver just to be able to see the movie all together. We're all still friends now, and we obsess about this franchise less of course, but the movie just means something to me regarding friendship, and therefore will always have a special place in my life... on top of being a pretty good movie. Seriously, I thought this was a worthy adaptation of a book I love so much. For ages I was scared it would suck, and my worst nightmare would be to see it get critically panned and be a box office flop ala Vampire Academy. But thankfully it wasn't, as we all know.

The Social Network

220px-Social_network_film_poster.jpg

Social Network was sitting on my Netflix list for the longest time, and I really had no desire to ever watch it. I had heard all the great things about it, but a movie surrounding the drama behind the creation and development of Facebook didn't interest me. Facebook is just something moms use to talk to their friends right? But when I finally watched it, I had nothing to do for 3 hours, so I was expecting to watch a movie that is "good" but also incredibly boring. Well... that tells you how much I know. This movie is incredibly intriguing, full of amazing performances, and great direction. I never thought a movie that is supposed to be a "drama" could be so emotionally investing, and well, dramatic. It builds and feeds upon its own tension so well that you don't want to miss a single line of dialogue; you are just transfixed onto the screen. I have only seen Social Network once, but it resonates with me like no other "adult-themed drama" ever has. 

• Like 3

X-Men: First Class

220px-X-MenFirstClassMoviePoster.jpg

If anyone has seen it, I love JeremyJahns' review of this, when he said "so how is this movie? It was okay... okay I can't even say that with a straight fave this movie is freaking awesome!" I really loved First Class when I first saw it, but what surprised me was that I liked it even more the second time seeing it, and even more the third time! Unlike most movies, this does not get any less entertaining with each repeat viewing, but better! The X-Men have become the quintessential superhero team for my childhood (Spider-Man still tops all) and First Class not only serves as the fantastic origin story to the characters that I had been clamoring for ever since being first introduced to X-Men, but an incredible fun film on its own! Matthew Vaughn is on a role! The friendship between Charles and Eric, as well as the relationship between Charles and Mystique are both really sad and heartbreaking to be honest. The scene at the beginning where Shaw wants Eric to move the coin is awesome, as well as the culminating battle. Also, that Hugh Jackman cameo!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Amazing!!! Best use of PG-13's one F-bomb ever!

Edited by DAJK

21 Jump Street

220px-21JumpStreetfilm.jpg

Kicking off the top 5 is one of my all-time favourite comedies. Some may consider it to be unreasonably high on this list, but 21 Jump Street is just so good! Along with it on "favourite comedies" is Mrs. Doubtfire and Elf (if that counts). Phil Lord and Chris Miller are comedy geniuses, and they have proven it time and time again. The comedic chemistry between Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill is marvelous, and no matter how many times I watch 21 Jump Street, I laugh every time. I have to admit, that when I first saw this movie, I was a little disappointed ("My friends said it would be funnier!") but I have no idea how on Earth I didn't like this movie at first. I watched it again with friends, and again and again, and I am hooked on this franchise.

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

220px-GOTG-poster.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy went from being my 9th or 10th most anticipated film of 2014 to one of the best of the half decade. It is extremely fun, funny, witty, and entertaining. Every single character (in the main 5) is fantastic, and will in my opinion, become classic icons int he world of blockbuster cinema, especially Rocket and Groot (I see them becoming a sort of Chewbacca). Being a die-hard Star Wars fan, Guardians of the Galaxy satisfied my need for a Star Wars movie until December, as it is basically Star Wars with a funny streak. Basically everyone I know loves this film, and people at school still talk about it, even people who don't care about movies, superheros "the cool kids." Guardians actually stayed at my cinema for 7 weeks, and only left when the Equalizer opened, which I don't ever remember happening. Reminding me of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, I expect big things from the sequel.

• Like 3

The Avengers

220px-TheAvengers2012Poster.jpg

Wow, doing these posts back to back, I realize how similar the Avengers and the GOTG posters are...

So with all these comic book movies on my list, I hope I'm not being regarded as just a superhero movie nerd, who doesn't appreciate the rest of cinema  :P . However, including Avengers is essential for my list, as not is it (obviously) one of my favourite movies of the half decade, but it is also possibly THE SINGLE BEST theatre experience I have ever had (there's one other that might beat it). It was immediately after Avengers that I got into movies (even though I didn't actually start following box office until Wreck-it-Ralph), Avengers ignited a spark by being such a fun movie. I started visiting the theatre often, because of the great experience I had with the Avengers, providing evidence to theory that having a lot of good movies open back to back wont hurt them, but help them, because when people have a good time at the movies, they will want to come back for more. Like Days of Future Past, Avengers was able to take all these characters and make them all relevant. The jokes were great (puny god) and the action was spectacular. 

• Like 5

Boyhood

220px-Boyhood_film.jpg

This movie is something else. It captures life like no movie ever has, and provides the opportunity to reflect on your own life while watching this family grow up. Maybe I'm just the right audience for this movie, as I am at that stage where I'm starting to miss being a little kid, and I am terrified of going to college in a few years, but the ending of Boyhood just hit me like I did not expect. Narratively, it makes a few jumps, and leaves some plots hanging, but that doesn't bother me, as in life, not everything has closure like in the movies. And this is one of the most realistic movies I have ever seen. You don't see any of the actors, as they become the characters. You aren't even thinking of this as a movie, but you are just watching "life". That is the highest praise I can give this movie, and that is that it captures life like no other movie.

• Like 6

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

220px-Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallo

The epic conclusion to a franchise I had been a fan of almost my whole life... how would this not make my number 1? At this point, a movie can't make the list without representing something more to me. It can't just be a great movie (which this surely is). And what Deathly Hallows part 2 is is a chance to say goodbye to these characters that I grew up with, and who grew up with me (much like Boyhood). Ever since I started being a fan of Harry Potter, I have been waiting for the end; this movie has been years and years in the making. And while I knew what was going to happen (I had read the book) it was just a treat to see these events unfold on screen instead of just on the page. It's tied for one of my favourite movies in one of my favourite series ever, so of course it can only be my #1  :) .

• Like 5

So thank you to you guys who took the time to read these, and to those who waited patiently to do their own lists (I know I kind of budged in line, and I am really really sorry about that). Thanks Ethan for letting me do this in your thread, and good luck to whoever is up next for doing their lists; I'm really looking forward to reading them!  :)

• Like 2

I disagree with most of your top ten, but thanks for taking the time to write them up. :)

I'll write up my #50 and get started in an hour or two.

Thanks Tele, looking forward to seeing your list! Edited by DAJK

#50: #49: The Rover (2014)    (Tele fail)

written and directed by: David Michôd

The-Rover-poster.jpeg

This is a great little bleak post-apocalyptic movie, done with verve and style. It’s 10 years after the collapse of civilization, and the remnants still stand… it’s more MAD MAX than ROAD WARRIOR in that regard. Guy Pearce’s car is stolen by a group of criminals on the lam, he just wants it back and is willing to go to any length. The movie’s largely carried by its great sense of melancholy, its minimalst style, and (most significantly) by Guy Pearce, who does a great job as the angry, bitter, and violent protagonist. There are perhaps a few leaps of logic here and there, but those are minor issues considering the excellence in other areas.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 7

One in and I've already shit the bed. :rofl: I was going off memory: THE ROVER is actually #49. Here's my actual #50:

#50: Kon-Tiki (2012)

written by: Petter Skavlan

directed by: Joachim Rønning & Espen Sandberg

KonTikiMoviePoster.jpg

This is both a gentle and an old-fashioned movie, neither of which are much in style these days, which explains its general dismissal among many (especially on the internet). Nonetheless, this is one of the great true-life adventure stories of the twentieth centuries, and it comes across reasonably well on screen. The passion (and the sheer crazy concept) of Thor Heyerdahl’s idea really shines through, and there’s a great sense of fulfillment and satisfaction at the end. A little moment that’s absolutely wonderful (and a perfect example of character-building in a visual instant) is early on, when Thor gathers a bunch of Pacific island natives together to pose for a picture. “No smiling”, he tells them, as they all begin to pose formally. And then, just before the camera clicks, he can’t help himself and flashes this big grin… captured an instant later in the picture. That sums up his character nicely.

• Like 1