JJ-8

2011 Summary & Awards Nominations - Ceremony to start on 9th March 2012 (3am Game Time ~ Approx)

2011 Yearly Summary & Nominations Thread

This thread is devoted to the yearly summary for 2011 and also the announcement of the 2011 Geekfreek Awards Nominators.......

Edited by Jajang

Fantasy Box Office Game – 2011 A Year in Review

By Jajang

Back at the start of 2011, all were hopeful of another strong year. But what 2011 would bring in the end would be change. Change for the better I would say.

Q1 Review

Back in January 2011, we 8 active players (with a total of 12 playing at the time). As usual, January was dominated by holdovers from December with only a few real entries into the charts thanks to openings in January. Lobotomy would lead the first weekend of the year but it would be Alfred who dominate January thanks to holdovers. For the 2012 Game at the end of the month, Alfred would be leading the game from Townzy with Jajang rounding out the top 3. All of the top 3 would be driven by investments in The Green Hornet and The Dilemma. February would see wins from Lightygami and Radier Gummi before returning to Alfred yet again with further wins. The month of February once again belonged to Alfred, Radier jumped into 2nd and Steenhart rounded out the top 3. Alfred took the month with investments in Unknown and Just go with it. Radier and Steenhart were driven by Justin Bieber mostly. Overall it was a weak month especially in comparison to the previous year. March saw no one really dominate. Radier, Billybobwashere, Boxofficeace and Smallville all had a go at the top. But even though he never even won a weekend, Alfred was able to take out the monthly honours for the 3rd month straight. Billybobwashere and Steenhart rounded out the top 3. March was even weaker than February indicated some deep troubles with recent films at the box office. At the end of the first quarter we were well down year on year, though this was expected given the size of the holdovers last time around. It was always going to be a hard act to follow. Overall, Alfred was easily leading the game, with Radier in second and Steenhart rounding out the top 3.

Q2 Review

April finally saw some good returns. Mattrek took out the first 2 weekends with reasonable totals. Boxofficeace took the following 2 weekends and finally in the biggest weekend of the year to date, Radier nearly made 100m in a single weekend. Mattrek took the month out, with Lightygami right behind him. BoxofficeAce held down third. Lightygami led the first 2 weekends in May driven to the top by Thor. Boxoffice Took the weekend Pirates 4 opened. Radier Gummi Took the final weekend of the month and was the first player since Billybobwashere some 27 weeks earlier made more than 100m in a single weekend. Radier easily took out the biggest month of the year so far with over 360m for the month. Billybobwashere took out second and Townzy rounded out the top 3. In June, lightygami stamped his authority over the first 2 weekends, boxofficeace jumped to the top in the third, while Alfred finally returned to the winners circle in thefinal weekend. As a result, Alfred won the month with over 300m. Lightygami was just behind him in second, with Billybobwashere rounding out the top 3. This quarter finally saw a return to form of the boxoffice, with Aprils returns being some of the biggest ever for that month. Overall Radier Gummi had grabbed the lead for the game with now over 1 Billion from Alfred who was in second. Billybobwashere rounded out the top 3.

Q3 Review

The second half of the year got off to a flyer with what was easily the biggest films of the year in Transformers and the final harry potter which opened mid month. Radier took the first weekend in July with another 100m weekend. In fact Radier would lead 4 out of the 5 weekends of the month of July including a 200m+ weekend when Harry opened. Lightygami finally tipped Radier off the top in the final weekend. Obviously, thanks his domination, Radier easily won the month with the biggest month ever on record with a total of 713m. Second fell to Billybobwashere with a still reasonable 433m. Mattrek held down third. In Fact the top 9 players all made in excess of 200m making July, 2011 one of the biggest all time months ever (June 2010 continues to hold that record with nearly 4B). August started strongly with Mattrek topped the charts for the first weekend before Townzy took over and dominated for the remainder of the month. Finally at the end of the month, Townzy had taken over 300m in first, Mattrek was on 190m in second and Jajang in third on 182m. September saw a substantial decline in the game after the highs of the summer. Townzy would lead all weeks bar the last 2 weekends which was led by Boxofficeace and mattrek. In fact the weekend boxofficeace led was the weakest weekend since inception of the game. Townzy was the only investor who managed to make more than 100m for the month. Lobotomy took out second with Boxofficeace in third. After starting off to a flyer this quarter, 2011 died off very dramatically culminating in the weakest weekend in the games history. Radier now easily led the game by some margin (400m) over Townzy with Alfred barely behind him in third.

Q4 Review

October finally saw some improvements as the game finally started get rolling again. Townzy took out he first weekend, Jajang rolled the second weekend and Mattrek took the final 2 weekends out. The month would be led by Townzy, Mattrek and Jajang. During this month would also see the final update ever done on Box Office Mojo our home for the past 6 years. Cause sometime around the 2nd November 2011, Box Office Mojo would crash. When the site returned some 2 days later, the forums would be officially closed and inaccessible. As a result of this a number of investments for November were lost (though some were recovered later). The Game didn’t return until the new Home we now have had opened on Box Office Theory (A Big Shout out goes to Shawn for implementing this). Either way, the game did indeed continue though with limited players and investments for the remainder of the year. Sadly this change also has caused the demise of Radier Gammi who has not appeared on BOT since we reopened here. (other players have also disappeared including BoxofficeAce, Lobotomy (E@van), Luciarolando, Steenhart) November saw Mattrek lead the first 2 weekends, and Townzy lead the final 2 weekends. In fact Townzy’s 2 weekends where both over 100m with the weekend Breaking Dawn opened, he made over 170m. As a result the top 3 of the month of November was Townzy (492m), Radier Gummi (359m), & Alfred (290m). December saw Townzy easily dominate all weekends accept for the final weekend when he was pipped by Alfred over new years. Once again Townzy led in December with 599m. Second fell to Alfred and Mattrek rounded out the top 3. By the end of the year, Townzy had taken the lead for the game, Radier had fallen to second and Alfred held onto third.

Edited by Jajang

2011 Geekfreek Awards - Nominations

I present the following nominations for the Greekfreek Awards. I will announce the date the ceremony will be held closer to the date, but it is likely to held in early to mid february.

ROI Award - Luciarlando, Mattrek & Radier Gummi

Best Investor Award - Lobotomy, Radier Gummi, Smallville

Sales Award - Lobotomy, Mattrek, Townzy

Company Value Award - Billybobwashere, Radier Gummi, Townzy

Weekend Award - Billybobwashere, Radier Gummi, Townzy

Revenue Award - Alfred, Billybobwashere, Mattrek, Radier Gummi, Townzy

Geekfreek Award - Alfred, Billybobwashere, Mattrek, Radier Gummi, Townzy

Thats is folks. I'll announce the date of the ceremony soon in this thread.....

Edited by Jajang

Excellent review of what seemed to be an exciting year. July was crazy.Can't wait to see my investments giving me some money. But I still have to wait until I make a big splash.

Edited by CJohn

Excellent review of what seemed to be an exciting year. July was crazy.Can't wait to see my investments giving me some money. But I still have to wait until I make a big splash.

it was indeed... not the biggest month ever, but it was up there... probably the most insane months was between June 2010 and December 2010. June - biggest ever and well December was just rediculous for the number of sales made in the lead up. + 2 players made in excess of 600m in one month that time around.....
  • Like 1