baumer

Before I Fall (2017)

Grade it  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm a sucker for Zoey Deutch and for a good high school social paradigm film.  This has both and because of it the film is right up my alley.  This is a story about groundhog day but in high school.  A girl is forced to live the same day over and over until she gets it right.  This is a very timely film because it deals with issued today that are very relevant, namely bullying and the unfortunate consequences that can arise from it.  There's a few themes in here that might have been taken from other films of the genre.  One that really came to mind was Can't Buy Me Love.  I enjoyed everything about this film right up until the end.  This is the third film that really resonated with me, but the ending kind of ruined me.  La La Land, Logan and now this one all had depressing endings to otherwise beautiful films.  Still, it's good enough to highly recommend.

8.5/10

I thought this had a more realistic representation of bullying then the entire first season of "13 Reasons Why". This film really surprised me and left me thinking about the choices that you make on a daily basis and how in real life you only have that one chance to do right. Like Sam does a lot of great things for other people she ignored or hurt as the story goes on, but in the end, the only day that really matters is the first. She can't change fate. And I was worried that this story was going to go the cheap way out and sidestep this inevitability and I was really glad that it doesn't. Yeah some of the third act did feel "Scroogish" and there's an overuse of cheesy indie songs but I'm willing to brush that stuff aside because the overall message is such an important and powerful one (especially in this day and age). - B+