Grade it  

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My letterboxd review from a couple months ago (hence the last line):

A Fantastic Woman, the richly deserving winner of the Foreign Language Feature Oscar, is a marvelous achievement. In title character Marina, audiences get a trans character with agency, depth, and strength. Her gender identity is a major piece of her character, but in a wholly natural, non-exploitative way that makes it clear that her gender is not her sole defining trait. Daniela Vega is sensational as Marina; she delivers raw, laser-focused work with such incredible use of facial expressions and nonverbal cues that viewers can sense how unaddressed past events inform who Marina is in the present and how she experiences the world. Marina bears a shocking amount of (thankfully mostly non-physical) abuse, but she does so with grace and quiet strength that suggests that she will not let those who do not accept her break her - quite fantastic, indeed. As much as I loved Call Me by Your Name, I think this film may well be the best addition to the queer cinema canon in the past year. Consider it a must-see if it plays anywhere near you.

A