Eric Prime

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (2023)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (2023)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

A wonderful adaptation of the book that should be able to resonate with everyone well beyond its primary of demographic of young females thanks to its very human characters. Abby Ryder Fortson (best known as little Cassie in the first two Ant-Man movies) is highly appealing and natural as the title character, and she's well supported by equally strong work from Rachel McAdams (bringing so much humanity to the role of the mother), Kathy Bates, Benny Safdie, and the other child actors. It's another simple and authentic story full of warmth from Kelly Fremon Craig that proves The Edge of Seventeen was no fluke. A-

Also, it's absurd this was rated PG-13. The double standards of the MPA strike again!

On 5/1/2023 at 8:38 PM, filmlover said:

Also, it's absurd this was rated PG-13. The double standards of the MPA strike again!

For real. It has to be one of the most innocent PG-13s I've ever seen. Kinda reminds me of how they also flipped out over Eighth Grade and gave it an equally undeserved R a few years back. 

One of the selling points in the marketing of Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret has been the long-standing legacy and timelessness of the Judy Blume children’s novel on which it is based; that marketing angle, luckily, is truth in advertising. With The Edge of Seventeen writer and director Kelly Fremon Craig filling those same roles here, Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret is a poignant and frequently hilarious coming of age film that hits virtually all the right notes and succeeds in striking at a sense of universality in its story. Even with a setting more than half-a-century in the past, Craig makes the scenarios and character interactions feel immediate, and she captures the humor, awkwardness, and meaningful growth in this period (lame pun maybe intended) of the titular Margaret’s life with a keen eye for authenticity. Nothing in this narrative feels false or forced, and the frankness with which it deals with the topics it broaches – which undoubtedly resulted in a grossly undeserved PG-13 rating from the MPA (because heaven forbid a film with this setting and subject discuss periods) – makes it feel more honest and impactful. It also succeeds in exploring faith and spirituality more deeply and meaningfully than films that brand themselves as more explicitly “religious;” by being willing to look at both the spiritual benefits and social belonging that can come from religion while also not shying away from the ways in which it actively threatens the dynamics of Margaret’s extended family, Craig engages with matters of faith in a richer and more nuanced manner than most other filmmakers ever will. In front of the camera, the cast is superb at every stop. Abby Ryder Fortson does remarkably authentic work as Margaret, playing her at times surprising confidence and more common insecurities in an effective, relatable fashion. Among the adults, the standout is Rachel McAdams in a warm and funny turn as Margaret’s mother; though the script already gives her enough complexity to work with, McAdams is a pro at making the performance feel lived in and hinting at layers beneath Barbara’s surface. There’s also winning, affecting work from Kathy Bates, who is a joy every time she appears onscreen as Margaret’s grandmother. If there’s any real problem with this film, it’s that the characters are so richly drawn that I felt like more time could have been spent with many of them (especially within the dynamic of Margaret’s main friend group and the more physically developed classmate they ostracize), but they ultimately all get at least one moment that really sings. Much like The Edge of Seventeen, Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret has been, at best, a minor hit at the box office, but will hopefully enjoy a long shelf life as the newest sterling member of the past decade’s coming of age movie canon. 

A-