MCKillswitch123

MCKill's Reviews Year 10: (Shamefully) Powered by DALL-E 3

#25-21

Spoiler

Mouse Hunt

Yeah, it's conventional, for all intents and purposes, but it approaches the themes of art that never was with the appropriate dissatisfaction and is just about entertaining and thorough enough to be satisfying. A solid, well made (if in need of a grammar edit or two) doc.

Spoiler

Sony vs. Nintendo

(The video above is a shot Sony took at Microsoft, not Nintendo, btw lol.) Just like Mouse Hunt, this is *intended* to be a conventional, but well constructed and enjoyable doc, with themes of overcoming the odds and proving you can fight any fight... although, I will recognize that a billionaire company being an underdog hero is kinda strange, but the movie does address that too lmao.

Spoiler

Second Dimension: Battle for North Kingdom

While it's still a Part 2 and feels episodic and not really huge on stakes, it's more entertaining, much better written than Last Hope and still visually sprawling, on top of having a solid ensemble of characters carrying it. Hopefully, Part 3 concludes this saga in a worthy way.

Spoiler

The Boy with the Green Eyes

It's a big podge-modge of different elements - LGBTQ+ romance, childhood abuse and trauma, fantasy, musical, and so on - but tbh, it comes together shockingly uniformly. It has solid performances at its core, some fun musical pieces and a gripping story. Still too wild and wacky for my tastes, but definitely the Poison and Wine franchise's highest point yet.

Spoiler

Operation Finality

A solid, well-made, thoroughly enjoyable, if somewhat unsurprising sci-fi action-adventure, with a great lead performance from Michael B. Jordan and an entertaining supporting cast. Gets the job done to a tee and is confident at it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Spoiler

The Siege of Savage

It does the usual superhero team-up stuff that you've seen before in Avengers, Justice League and all of that, but the interactions between its huge ensemble are very entertaining, and it still manages to sneak in a few types of setpieces that are new enough to its genre. It's a breezy, light watch that entertains throughout and does everything you'd want it to.

Spoiler

Time After Time

Apart from the goofy-ass McDonald's and Sprite product placement, this is a fun, rollicking adventure with solid social commentary on how backwards we still are in the 21st Century, and steady performances from its small cast. A nice watch at the movies, all things considered.

Spoiler

Providence

Kinda wish that it weren't afraid to go all out with its themes; instead, it cast them aside for a more simplistic action thriller in the latter third. However, it still boasts some good writing, amazing direction/cinematography/production values and strong themes about being mediatic in war, and the conflict of manual experience vs. technology. Solid watch, though it had potential to go way higher.

Spoiler

The Legend of Hollis Brown

Happy with this one. A sturdy character study about a man who believed himself cast aside by destiny, until he realizes, through the help of a romantic interest, that he can choose his own destiny.

Spoiler

The Set-Up

A very smart approach to the teen rom-com genre, by subverting conventions and commenting on how, perhaps, there might be something else a teenager would prefer to love in high school, and that some relationships maybe just aren't meant to be, but that's okay. A warm hug of a film that came out of nowhere.

Spoiler

Fishergirls

Shame about the rushed ending, because this is an otherwise thoughtful, ruminative work of sci-fi animation, with clear messaging about sexist oppression and the need to break through societal norms and gender roles. Beautiful animation, good characters and a story that keeps you on your toes with its mystery tones.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was a fuck-up, meaning that the real #20 was belatedly added to the previous post and everything before is actually #19-15. Sorry lol.

Anyway...

Spoiler

The Valkyries vs. the Galaxy

While it sorta skimps on its central characters, the overall story and the themes of exploitation in the music industry are really strong, as are its colorful ensemble of characters (great showings from RuPaul, Seth MacFarlane and Olivia Rodrigo), its upbeat soundtrack and epic visual effects. It's a really fun package, full of personality and charm.

Spoiler

The Enormous Radio

Honestly, the praise this has gotten (from just one person so far lol, but still) was somewhat unexpected lol, but in hindsight, yeah, I'm happy with it. It's more than just a romance story paying tribute to 1940's melodramas: it's a story about the corruptive secrets in relationships, and the idea that all of us hide something, no matter how much we've fooled ourselves into thinking we're better than our noisy neighbors. Hope for an Oscar campaign for ScarJo and Foster.

Spoiler

Life Picture

I was worried whether or not this came out somewhat muddled in its message, but I revisited it soon and I was pretty satisfied with it still. A story about grief, overcoming grief and acceptance of overcoming grief, with two neat performances (not biased at all lolol) from JLaw and Ke Huy Quan.

Spoiler

Let's Eat Dad

It brings the same type of rebellious attitude and dark comedy to its out-there premise as something like a Jojo Rabbit or a What We Do in the Shadows, but slowly morphs into something else entirely in a surprising, but not disappointing way. A sobering dramedy about the pains of childhood trauma, change of character, the dark side of being uprooted in traditionalism and coming terms with the way you were uprooted. Two strong performances from Wagner Moura and Dedé Santana carry the ship tenfold as well.

• Like 2

Spoiler

A Walk in the London Rain

Writing stories about realities I'm not a part of - like in the case of the LGBT community - is difficult, but I feel like the best way to approach this is to tell the kind of stories you believe (keyword: you believe, not know for sure lol) they would want to tell. This is a film about, well, accepting that maybe you're not beloved for what you are and want to be by everyone, but someone out there will love you for sure; while also throwing a bone at the role of capitalism in modern day oppression. Also, VIBES. C'mon, Piccadilly Circus in a rainy January morning is pure vibes. There's a bit of an experimental aura to this one that makes me think Emma Seligman may have not been the best choice for it, but given the way Shiva Baby played, I'm okay with it.

Spoiler

Green Lantern Corps: Evolution

It's the best of its trilogy, close enough between it and Home. Even though I wish that the film's intimate moments worked better for me (I think this was a combination of its screenplay and scale being too expository and dense) and that, as I already hinted, it were better written, I do still think that the characters, themes, visuals and performances are all still on point, with Hal-John-Sinestro-Parallax being a great quartet of main characters. DC has told some awesome stories in the past, and I feel like this Endless Corps saga is one that really encapsulates the heart and soul that their comics about people with Godly powers, but Godly powers - in this case - that literally embody human emotions, are capable of reaching.

Spoiler

Tailypo

This one just stunned me, right out of the gate. A harrowing folk horror film about the wrong choices that you've made in your past, this is expertly crafted, directed and paced and is valiantly carried forth by a supreme double performance from Andy Serkis. Who says January is incapable of great films?

Spoiler

Tatiana's Journey

I'll be honest: Mighty Fall was a mighty mess lol. I'm still happy that I put it out onto the world and I'm glad that its characters resonated with people, but as I look back at it, it was just poorly made. Reflective of what my state as a storyteller was, back then. Happy to report that I've (hopefully) managed to streamline all of the different concepts and ideas into a package that's way better structured and far more cohesive. It approaches the world of the previous film with a much lighter mood - for all intents and purposes, it's a comedy - while still being faithful to its characters and world. And at heart, it's an anti-fascist story that also reflects on the fear of losing those you love the most, and facing that fear when you realize that it's the right thing to do. I worked hard to get Olivia Cooke a Best Actress nom!

Spoiler

Berserk: The Golden Age

Yeah, I'm crushed this isn't in the top 5 lol. But I'll be frank: it's not in the top 5 by a minimal margin. It's a massive undertaking of a film - relentlessly brutal, both in action, visuals and themes - but one that reflects on having a place in the world, overcoming brutal trauma and becoming a survivor and a fighter. It's an excellent fantasy epic that I'm sure easily ranks as a top tier manga/anime adaptation, and I'm rooting for many of its ensemble cast members to get Voice Acting noms at the Oscars. Just kinda feel like it was a bit too long, and ultimately, the loose threads left untied in the end kinda made me a little weary of its ending. But, hopefully, Part 2 brings this Golden Age arc together as brilliantly as this first film did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Soil

This one is subtle... very, very subtle. Maybe a bit *too* subtle. But I think that the short story by Arianna Reiche deserved that kind of hard understatedness and quietness to resonate. This was a risky story to adapt, because the story, thematically, approaches its main subjects from an outsider perspective - the lead character helps people, rather than being someone going through it, which makes for a story that is perhaps not close enough to its subject matter. However, that's precisely what this film, which very much expands massively on the short story, is about: it's about knowing that, whatever that person may be going through, you cannot know for sure, but you are always welcome to tell that person they have your support.

Slight spoilers for Soil:

Spoiler

I fully believe in the right to abortion and I fully believe in women's autonomy to decide what they do with their body, and this film is ultimately meant to be a warm hug to remind everyone that, no matter what you have gone through, or if you're just someone looking from the outside, you can always help or be helped.

Spoiler

Maniac Magee

I'm sure Lager Pictures did not expect this to rank so high, but here we are lol. I'll be a little more specific in my December write-ups, but I think this was just a joyful film that really inhabited the soul of its source material (which I've never read, but I can just tell from this adaptation is all sorts of wacky, different and extremely full of personality). Winslow Begley deserves an Oscar nom, Zemeckis' use of HFR works strongly, and the anti-racist, sense of belonging themes do great for a Christmas-released coming-of-age story. Just a wonderful, supremely charming little movie. 

Spoiler

The Lottery

This is probably my favorite movie that I've written to date. I don't think it *fuuuuully* captures the dystopia and pure spine-tingling chills of Shirley Jackson's original story, but man, this is a movie that I think causes discourse and makes one think about traditionalism, scapegoatism and the haunting idea that you can be desensitized to human atrocities in the name of "it's what everyone does". Basically, the kind of themes that Jonathan Glazer's The Zone of Interest just explored, but on a different kind of setting and scale. I believe some will disagree, but I feel strong putting this as my personal best film in the game to date.

---

Spoiler

Gateways: The Children of Zenith

A huge monster of a film that dives head first into themes of religious fanaticism, personal peaking and the thought that no matter how much you tinker, it gets worse, being countered by the universal feeling that the real good is in just trying to do better. It's perhaps not as immediately fresh as the first Gateways was, but it goes for something drastically different anyway (even if the quirky humor is still there), and as a more adult, bigger and more confident beast of a film, I think - bias of having pre-read it aside - it's Endless Animation's best film in a large, large amount of years.

---

Spoiler

Penpal

Reflecting on the year as a whole, no other film has made me feel these many chills down my spine, and this much brooding rumination in my brain. A nightmarish adaptation of a creepypasta-turned-novel with a lot of made-up context that shapes this one into a story about memory and the price to pay for seeking memory, remind us that some secrets probably should just stay buried, but in the end, no matter what happens, we can still choose to be defined by the memories that we cherish. And while I'm not entirely positive that the multiple timeline structure will be for everyone, the story is pretty universal, with a powerful ensemble cast (great showing from Kate Siegel) and strong direction from David Robert Mitchell. Penpal - my #1 film of the year.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Full Top 25:

Spoiler
  1. Penpal
  2. Gateways: The Children of Zenith
  3. The Lottery
  4. Maniac Magee
  5. Soil
  6. Berserk: The Golden Age
  7. Tatiana's Journey
  8. Tailypo
  9. Green Lantern Corps: Evolution
  10. A Walk in the London Rain
  11. Let's Eat Dad
  12. Life Picture
  13. The Enormous Radio
  14. The Valkyries vs. the Galaxy
  15. Fishergirls
  16. The Set-Up
  17. The Legend of Hollis Brown
  18. Providence
  19. Time After Time
  20. The Siege of Savage
  21. Operation Finality
  22. The Boy with the Green Eyes
  23. Second Dimension: Battle for North Kingdom
  24. Sony vs. Nintendo
  25. Mouse Hunt

HM's:

• 9/11: Never Forget
  • Speed Demon
  • Room 131
  • Cloud Cuckoo Land
  • Father vs. Son

Tomorrow, November and December.

• Like 3

NOVEMBER

fJhURe9.jpeg

The Second Water War

dir. David Bowers

Spoiler

I don’t recall details of The First Water War very well, apart from the hook and my basic reaction (a very forgettable kids filler). But Infinite Studios and David Bowers’ sequel tries to build on its foundation by making it strongly thematically charged and far more epic in scale, which is interesting, I guess. And, truth be told, there is credit to be given to a story skewing this young that has these kinds of themes. It definitely aims to debate segregation and class separation in a somewhat levelheaded way, at least as much as a kids movie about snowball fights would allow; and it isn’t afraid to aim big. Deserves big praise for the ambition. However, while the characters are okay for the kind of movie they are, they feel somewhat stock compared to the bigness of the themes. Not a huge dealbreaker in of itself, but there are also some other narrative choices that are kind of in poor taste, which made for a somewhat off-putting concoction, despite its impressive thematic depth for a kids filler. It’s fine, overall, but I don’t know, I kinda dislike some aspects of it.

2.5/5

3oyJZNX.jpeg

The Unseen

dir. Jayro Bustamante

Spoiler

Another faith-based story from Studio Groundswell this year, this time dedicated to the dramatization of a real story set in Guatemala. The Unseen is fairly well intentioned, denouncing the corruption of its examined country’s law system and the easy exploitation of the prison system by capitalists, leaving absolutely no doubt that we’re dealing with cartoonish levels of evil here (assuming this film is loyal to its real life inspiration). It’s easy to root for the protagonists here, and it isn’t overlong. That said, once again, we have a scenario where overincisive faith-based messaging comes across as a bit too hammered down for the story to feel digestible as a whole. This is probably an issue for me personally due to my lack of religious inclination, and I’d still say that I, open-minded as I am, appreciate the film trying to say that a person’s faith will never judge them for having moments where they doubt said faith, which is a pleasant message for those who do follow faith. But, even if you accept that for what it is, then the movie does a 180 on you and abruptly ends at what feels like two thirds of the way in, crippling whatever goodwill it might have by simply being unfinished/rushed. Sure, the real story is still unfolding, but the choice to tell it in its current format is baffling all the same. Feels like one of CAYOM’s closest equivalents to that Devil Inside fiasco tbh. It’s not a completely terrible film, and still superior to plenty of other faith-based ventures out there. But even me not being its target audience aside, the poor structuring harms it plentifully, and when you do add the heavy-handed Christian stuff in it, it's a pretty massive turn-off altogether.

1.5/5

OIapYCG.jpeg

For Queen and Country

dir. Louis Theroux

Spoiler

The other Horizon Entertainment doc of the year, this one at least offers a little more than Red Flag, on the notion that its single line of plot summary actually hints at greater themes, promising to dive into Queen Elizabeth’s reign and the imperialism + colonialism it subsequently followed. As is, it’s slightly more interesting than the NASCAR doc, but make no mistake: this is still a movie that would work much better if it were given literally anything more.

2/5

WmvzdGe.jpeg

Let's Eat Dad

dir. Taika Waititi

Spoiler

If you thought Thanksgiving couldn’t possibly surprise you, Endless Entertainment’s Infinite Studios branch has teamed up with Taika Waititi, acclaimed director of What We Do in the Shadows and Jojo Rabbit (and failed auteur of Next Goal Wins and Thor: Love and Thunder - he would want you to know that himself!), for a unique dark dramedy, centered on a Brazilian chef who’s reunited with his dying, aging father, who then reveals that, by custom of his culture, he wants his son to cook him.

Let’s Eat Dad holds onto Waititi’s trademark trade-off between zany comedy, and the heart and soul of finding good in a harrowing circumstance, while subverting conventions and expectations. The premise of this film, out-there and creative enough as it is, and the initial expectation that it will be about traditionalism, gentrification and reuniting with your past and your culture, is actually, surprisingly, only a ruse for the true nature of this story, which is mainly about family trauma, resentment and insecurity, by asking the question: is it worth committing to someone who mistreated us if there’s any possibility of change… or does that person ever change in the first place? Wagner Moura and Dedé Santana deliver very solid performances at the core of this story, while the screenplay is obviously as zany and inspired as you’d expect it to be.

The only real downside, besides a few characterizations that are left a little underdeveloped, to this film is probably the whole villainy subplot involving Chris Pine’s character. To be fair, Pine delivers a really fun, hammy performance as a bitter chef who cannot stand Moura’s character’s success. But I do think that the movie lost some of its more grounded mechanisms and emotions by taking more of a thriller route near the end, escalating the characters to a somewhat goofy degree that tonally clashed with the remainder of the film. I understand that this is Waititi’s way, for sure; but I wish that the film kept itself on solid ground all the way through. Still, I quite enjoyed Let’s Eat Dad, and I hope Endless/Infinite keep challenging themselves this way.

3.5/5

5P09jQo.jpeg

King of Kings

dir. Matt Shakman

Spoiler

It’s been a long time since we’ve had, both in CAYOM and in the game, a massive, big budget Biblical or Ancient History epic. (Something like Ridley Scott’s Napoleon, which is not really Ancient History, does not fully count lol. And I definitely don’t count the Angel Studios, Chosen-types either.) Matt Shakman, who’s directed all of WandaVision irl and also some of the Mass Effect and The Scavenger Wars films in the game, surely took some inspiration from Scott when making this surprisingly sorta tame, PG-13 Biblical epic, but some of the liberties taken with the old tale of the line of David are among the best aspects of King of Kings, allowing for a liberal, not fully constrained take on its source material. As are, of course, the absolutely mesmerizing battle sequences and epic production values that grant that you’re at least getting your money’s worth in the theater, as far as big scale filmmaking goes.

However, this is still a Bible adaptation, and it really does not shy away from that. The extremely blatant messaging of not betraying God is certainly there to be seen, and it goes about as well as you’d expect it to, depending on which side you’re on (whether if you’re religious, or even what kind of faith you believe in). As such, the whole point of King of Kings is not really for me and the most enjoyable aspect of it is to basically just shut your brain down and enjoy it as a film spectacle. Even then, though, the choice of an all-white cast to play Middle Eastern Jewish people made a bad impression right out of the gate; and if you still choose to disregard that and just take it, the film relies heavily on Michael Douglas’ performance and the chemistry between Elordi and Blyth to hold onto anything, alongside the big battles.

In the end, King of Kings is a really mixed bag. It’s an interesting, fascinating epic that harkens back to the times where films like this were made, and has some unique elements even within its genre that make it stand out. But the on-the-nose Christian themes and the poorly chosen cast draw a large shadow over it for this Atheist.

2/5

YqePtLp.jpeg

More Than Just a Residency

dir. Sam Wrench

Spoiler

I guess this concert film is marginally more interesting than the usual for the game, if only because those behind-the-scenes add a little bit more than what the other CAYOM concert flicks offer? That would be it, I presume; otherwise, it’s a routine concert flick. But, even at 55, Kylie Minogue baaaad (wink wink).

2.5/5

• Like 2

DECEMBER

xYGhy1w.jpeg

My Winter Retreat

dir. Rob Zombie

Spoiler

I admittedly have pretty much no exposure to Rob Zombie’s films (not even the cult classic 2007 Halloween remake), though I do think he has some banger songs lol. Regarding this Christmas horror collab with O$corp, it’s a big bleh. Just a cliched supernatural slasher with no nuance whatsoever and the stupidest characters of all time (tied with every other modern horror movie of the 2000’s, I guess). I believe that Zombie is known for his exploitation horror comedies, but even if that were the intent here, this has no real comedy to speak of - just plays it straight as Hell. As such, it’s just boring and trodden.

1.5/5

ImXv2xT.jpeg

SSX Tricky

dir. Aaron and Adam Nee

Spoiler

I like the PS2-era SSX games a lot, but I don’t remember much about last year’s SSX film from Studio Groundswell and the Nee brothers, apart from thinking at the time that it was a semi-competent, but slight adaptation. This sequel, named after one of my personal favorite games in the series, does about the exact same thing: having a lot of fun snowboard sequences, an ensemble cast playing dumb characters, and little else, making it an extremely forgettable, but at least fun experience for its trashy worth. On a plus side, the whole “end of the world” MacGuffin thing elevated the silliness tenfold, paving for a movie that probably passes just fine if you get completely wasted and wash ashore on the seat of a movie theater. It’s decently entertaining and watchable, mainly for the pretty visuals and badass cinematography, but you won’t get anything substantial out of it.

2.5/5

pdu59WB.jpeg

Happy Together

dir. Adrian Lyne

Spoiler

Just before the end of the year, Endless Entertainment/Infinite Studios decided to grace us all with an Adrian Lyne masterclass, putting a very talented ensemble - headlined by Glen Powell and Tessa Thompson - in a dark erotic thriller about a married couple who refinds the spark after one of them commits murder. And, uh, yeah, this is about what you’d expect lol. It’s stupid, it’s trashy and it’s fun to watch, if for nothing else than to take your partner and get them in heat for a steamy night afterwards… or you can just get stoned or drunk with your friends and get a good laugh instead. It’s not a good movie per se, but it is a fun watch to witness Thompson and Powell’s relationship rekindle with the odd “eroticism” of leaving bloodshed, including a hilarious scene where Powell reveals himself as a foot fetishist. It’s really dumb, make no mistake -.literally, this plot could have resolved itself very early on without half the trouble, if the characters were remotely intelligent - but hey, it succeeds at what it’s trying to accomplish. So, if you’re a fan of the Fatal Attraction-type thriller, here you go lol.

2.5/5

BerrLJM.jpeg

Gateways: The Children of Zenith

dir. Jennifer Yuh Nelson and Adam Muto

Spoiler

The last and arguably biggest blockbuster of Y10, one that I pre-read on top. Endless Animation has always been known for pushing the boundaries of the so-called “mainstream animation” subgenre to its limits, and has produced some fine films in their chopshop of animation. Of course, greats like Can You Imagine? have already been installed in the CAYOM canon, and the studio has acquired as much as three different Best Picture nominations, including last year with Matilda and the Night Children. Gateways, from Pete Docter, was the studio’s biggest and most mediatic hit. Both a love letter to the medium of animation and a story of fatherhood and redemption, the connection between McKenna Grace’s heroic Bailee and Donald Glover’s suave but flawed demigod Levi instantly hooked viewers of the game, going on to gross an astounding $1.5 billion worldwide.

In this sequel, Bailee is still trying to live with her epic feat of saving the multiverse in the previous film, believing that she’s already hit her peak and that she needs to prove herself further, but as the biggest multiversal threat that ever existed arises, she and the remaining Majestic family begin to realize that heroism is much more than just doing… it’s, above all else, about trying. Gateways: The Children of Zenith amps up the scale of the series massively and becomes an absolute epic, with the villainy of Samuel L. Jackson’s Zenith carrying the weight of the conflict. Zenith, a zealous prophet with “magical” powers vowing to conquer the multiverse, has a turf with Levi, claiming that he is a false god and proning for his position as a Watcher. As Zenith becomes more and more incensed that his imperialist campaign has divine meaning and that he has come to save the multiverse, Bailee and family go through the trials and tribulations of stopping Zenith, in an adventure that, like the previous one, bends multiple animation styles and feasts on massive spectacle, but without losing the core essence of the series: the characters, and their inner dynamics. Bailee and Levi’s relationship is still essential to this movie, and as both journey towards the inevitable realizations in their stubborn heroic fight, it is still evident how likable and easy to root for these characters are. Zenith, by means, is every bit as worthy an opponent, with Sam Jackson effortlessly sinister and scary, while still maintaining a suave and darkly charismatic aura to him. Easy contender for Best Voice Performance in a Supporting Role there, for sure.

As mentioned, Children of Zenith focuses on what exactly entails heroism, what can or should you do to save what you love and those you love, and at what point do you start nagging at yourself for doing too much, until you realize that, in the end, the intention matters as much as anything. The story, chock full of big setpieces, is also replete with humor and sincerity, while the animations are still dazzling to see, though not necessarily a surprise or novelty anymore. Really, Gateways 2 is basically the natural evolution of the saga - bigger, more ambitious, far more adult and matured in themes and scale, but still quintessentially what made the first one so great: the characters, while not really looping on any of the past tropes (which has been a criticism of Endless Animation films in recent history). It’s a film that proves that the studio still has so much storytelling, heart and creativity to put out, while repositioning these as the studio’s most iconic characters (next to those from the Imagine saga). Great film.

4/5

YK7Tpkk.jpeg

Maniac Magee

dir. Robert Zemeckis

Spoiler

As Lager Pictures quickly embraces a place in my heart as one of the best curators of content in the CAYOM game, they went ahead and delivered one more film for the Holidays, with Robert Zemeckis’ Maniac Magee, an adaptation of a coming-of-age novel from 1990, hitting theaters on Christmas weekend. Zemeckis is a very unique director with an iconic filmography, but as his last few years have been mainly focused in pushing boundaries with technology (which has led to films with… uhh, mixed receptions lol), it was certainly unique to see him paired with source material quite like this.

Magee tells the story of a young boy who runs from his house and winds up in the fictional town of Two Mills, Pennsylvania, where he discovers just how segregated the town is, split with bitter racism. A boy who never says no to a challenge, he quickly becomes a myth and a legend… but as he meets new people, he still struggles to find a place in the world that he can truly call his own, and questions whether or not he really is great, or just a scared child and a fraud. The themes of empathy, self-belief and fitting in are at the center of a character that is marvelously played by Winslow Fegley in what is - at least in the game - a star-making performance. Fegley embodies Maniac with both the coolness and braveness, but also the fragility and insecurity that this young character requires, coming with a truly inspirational performance. The remaining ensemble cast is also strong, with particular emphasis on the performances of Lonnie Chavis and Tobin Bell as people whom Maniac changes.

As aforementioned, the film also dabbles with a population heavily torn in racism, segregation and inequality, and thankfully, Zemeckis and co-screenwriter Eric Roth approach these themes tastefully and appropriately, telling a story that manages to inspire and charm with so little effort. Another key aspect of the film worth mentioning is the fact that it utilizes dynamic HFR in some of its key sequences (it is, for a coming-of-age kids film, a $120m budget picture lol) – and I gotta say: I’ve always been a fan of how HFR looks in visually spectacular films, and this is no exception, as Zemeckis makes good use of the technology to reinforce the character of Maniac, while still giving a tech- and spectacle-savvy story for the big screen. Really, this is a fascinating film, all the way down to the fact that it’s incredibly idiosyncratic and zany. It doesn’t do anything substantially new with the coming-of-age genre, in fairness, but I think this is a film that, while not necessarily transpiring the genre, still manages to tell a powerful story, with well crafted characters, strong technical execution and a great cast at its core. It may not resonate well with everyone, but I feel like this film will fall in the canon with grace much faster out of the gate than some of Zemeckis’ past tech-heavy children’s films have.

4/5

• Thanks 2

On 3/6/2024 at 6:40 AM, MCKillswitch123 said:

Full Top 25:

Reveal hidden contents

Tomorrow, November and December.

Meant to respond back earlier this week but got busy and forgot but thank you for 2, 9, 11, 14, 20 and 25

• Like 1