23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1

I've been wanting to see this for a while, but it always seemed to pass me by. I've seen the first three and I liked them, so as this part was released in China today, I had to go and see it. First screening, first day again.

This is different than the other movies, there are a lot of allegiances in this one which I thought were a little odd. First off, Jake seems to hate the idea of Edward marrying Bella, yet he seems to be happy when he comes in through the back forest area. Then he seems to be unhappy about them going for a honeymoon, but then he's fine with it later. Then he's upset and angry about the pregnancy, yet he fights his own clan to protect her and it. I don't understand the whole "imprinted" thing. Does that just mean that Jake likes Bella? or does it mean that he fucked her and the baby is his? No idea. Wasn't explained too well.

So Jake's character lost a bit of what made his great in the previous chapters, for me. I preferred it when he was against the Cullen clan and with his own. But it's all different now. It's like having Darth Vader switch to join Luke Skywalker. Who would the enemy be now? Only Palpatine? Not a big deal. So for me, Jake switching ruined it, because there is no longer a protagonist and an antagonist, there's just the Cullens and everybody fighting to protect Bella. It's a weird dynamic, and I don't like it.

I don't understand why the wolf clan didn't attack Bella and the baby when the dad and the two women went to get blood for Bella. There was a perfect opportunity, and if they were watching like they had been before, it could have been easy for them.

Other than those few things, it was a good movie. I liked the music again, and it fit so well with the sequences (even though it's not a patch on the second and third movies). I did, however, think that the movie dragged a bit, especially for the first 45 minutes leading up to her coming home. I suppose that is expected when you split one book into two films, there's always going to be some filler. I just wish that this filler was more interesting, but a lot of it was just looking into each others' eyes or multiple shots of them playing chess on their honeymoon (which is an odd way to celebrate your love for one another) - or was that her dream? Yeah, I think it was actually.

The best parts were the dream wedding where all the dead bodies are on the floor beneath the altar, great visual. The make-up when she was ill was great, and when she was lying on her deathbed, how skinny was she?? Great job there too.

I think there could have been more shots of vampires doing great things, like running fast or jumping. It all seemed rather rushed when they did something, or it just wasn't there at all. The final fight was in the dark too, and as I've mentioned before, I loathe night-fighting - it hides everything and it's not exciting. Plus, the editing wasn't great at that point.

The end was good. She nearly died, then she comes back with her red eyes. I hoped she was dead, but I wasn't getting my hopes up - if she dies, the franchise is over. The next installment should be much better because the Volturi will not be happy about this demon baby. Breaking Dawn Part 1 is the weakest of the series. It's a victim of greed, and for that we get a movie which is rather boring.

This is the first time I've seen a Twilight movie in the cinema. It's totally different to watching it at home, even though I preferred the ones that I watched at home much more than this.

C+

• Like 1