1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I had heard good things about this movie and I thought I'd give it a go and WOW, did it turn my expectations around.It's so refreshing to watch such an original modern horror flick. It's not necessarily scary, but I was kind of jumping up and down with joy to see what happens next. It doesn't shy away from making you cringe either. It's not overly graphic, but instead it tends to imply a lot of the violence which makes it even more effective IMO. The thing that puts this above most of the modern horror movies though, is the fact that it (usually) doesn't follow clichés when you expect it to, and it knows how to balance horror and comedy perfectly.

The actors all do a good job with their characters, especially Xavier Samuel, and who has now received more Hollywood attention after starring in the latter half of the Twilight movies. Luckily the good direction and acting makes you actually care about the characters. It still would have been good if they had just been there for our entertainment, but they serve a purpose which really helps you get more invested in what's happening, and by the end I was completely rooting for Brent.I would actually go as far as saying this is one of the best horror movies of the last decade up there with Cabin in The Woods, Drag Me to Hell, Let the Right One In and Trick 'r Treat. And it's probably even one of the best Australian movies of the last decade too.A-