baumer

Pumpkinhead (1988)

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Stan Winston and Lance Henriksen are two of my favourites. They have collaborated on such films as Terminator and Aliens. But this film puts both of them in a different light. Winston as a first time director and Henriksen as the star, expected to carry the picture on his shoulders. And even though this film will not go down as a classic like Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacer, I give it kudos for being creepy, atmospheric, stylistic and scary in some parts.

Henriksen plays a father that loses ( his son is killed by their playful and irresponsible shenanigans ) his son to a bunch of kids. Even though it was an accident he knows about a legend of some kind of swamp witch that can summon up some ancient monster to avenge death. And he is so grief sticken that he doesn't take heed to the warning that the lady gives to him. Of course from here on out the film is filled with various killing scenarios. So we all know basically what is going to happen. I mean a horror movie can only follow certain formulas, so don't expect anything earth shattering in the way this film is put together. But what you can expect is that the film does a pretty good job of trying to scare us. Stan Winston has spent time with some of the greats ( James Cameron for one ) and he seems to use some similar techniques as say Aliens. We have a few shots of the villain creeping and slithering towards its hapless victims. And what we also have is great atmosphere perpetrated by the swamp scenario. The old witch that exists deep in the woods is stuff that folk lore is made of. And if you have seen Blair Witch, it is actually kind of fitting that this witch lives deep in the woods. Maybe she is the witch that haunts the woods in Maryland. 

I really enjoyed this film and it honestly benefits from Winston's eye for detail and Henriksen's tormented performance of the mourning father with a conscience. If you like a movie that has a mythical monster hell bent on destruction, a witch that is pure evil, a father that is trying to vindicate his son's death, great atmosphere, a murky, sweltering swampy feel, revenge as a theme, comeuppance as a theory ( what goes around comes around ) and some great dialogue, then this is the film for you. I personally found it entertaining and fun. It will never be as scary as a Jaws or Blair Witch, but it sure has fun trying, and as I said, it has one of the coolest lines in the history of horror films.

When Henriksen realizes the impact of what he has done, he begs the witch to help him stop the terror. She tells him that she cannot stop it and he replies,

" God damn you lady. God damn you! " " He already had son! He ALREADY has!!!"

I love that line.

7/10

• Like 1