Underground (1995)

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Staggering. I remember I watched it for the first time in preparation for the first of my series of term papers on Bosnian War, and I simply had no words after it ended. The fact that Kusturica made an epic absurdist tragicomedy about his home country right at the time when said country was being torn apart in the most violent and gruesome conflict since WWII probably makes it one of the most artistically daring films ever made, and holy fuck it works. So much joy and so much pain, so much comedy and tragedy and insanity and symbolism all coming together to form a perfectly sustained and fully coherent vision... again, I don't even know just how to end this, except by saying that it's one of the very best films I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

we could talk about the text, of war and misinformation and yugoslavia, but above all this is a monumental work of joy and music and horror and colour and sadness and tragedy, and the tragedy is laid on thicker and thicker and thicker, at which point the tragedy and the joy combine into an ending and oh my god. i am ecstatic and distraught and just in complete disbelief at what i just saw.

99/100

#6 all-time

• Like 1