Plain Old Tele

Cold in July (2014)

Cold in July (2014)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Becomes a different movie pretty much every 30 minutes, and each of these movies is less interesting than the one that preceded it. I liked it in the end, but mostly thanks to the work of the lead actors, especially Don Motherfucking Johnson who really gives one of the coolest and best performances of 2014.

I liked the first 40 minutes, sure it's not some groundbreaking stuff, but it is quite suspenseful and superbly well shot. I was hoping that it would get better and end on a high note.
The reverse happened.
it gets worse and worse as it progresses, the movie and its characters gets stupid real fast. That scene at the Bar, where Russel defended Richard is cringe-indulcing. 
I couldn't help but ask myself "why the fuck is the main protagonist there?" and no, his excuse is pure bs, an insult to my intelligence.
the score is annoyingly repetitive
thinking about it, it's like two big short films edited together, they had one story and didn't know how expand that story to make a full feature film. 35/100 (70/100 first 40 minutes, 25/100 last 70 minutes)
35/100 (70/100 first 40 minutes, 25/100 last 70 minutes)