hasanahmad

Pixar scaling back sequels, one original movie a year

What do you mean by messed it up?

They said they would release one original movie every year and one sequel/prequel/midquel every other year. Due to The Good Dinosaur being pushed back to 2015, Pixar will release two original films next year and one sequel in 2016. Their plan TOTALLY went awry, at least for the next two years. Do you think they will abandon it altogether or try it once more beyond 2016?

They said they would release one original movie every year and one sequel/prequel/midquel every other year. Due to The Good Dinosaur being pushed back to 2015, Pixar will release two original films next year and one sequel in 2016. Their plan TOTALLY went awry, at least for the next two years. Do you think they will abandon it altogether or try it once more beyond 2016?

I doubt the plan would be that specific. I imagine that there will be more sequels, possibly a third Cars film at some point, and after Tomorrowland, I could see Brad Bird coming back for an Incredibles sequel.

Currently, they have two films for 2017 and one for 2018. Of those three, I could see one being a sequel (leaning towards Cars 3), and the other two being original. Of course, I tend to think that the schedule is due for a bunch of upheaval. At some point, Disney is going to start shuffling around a bunch of films, including many of the pending WDAS and Pixar releases. Right now there are too many competing points, especially in 2016: Untitled Marvel is up against MoS2, and Finding Dory is up against HTTYD3.

It's the latter that's probably going to cause a big blink, somewhere. I think Disney is waiting to see how HTTYD2 does. If it's close to 300 million, they may blink and move Dory, and that could cause a cascade down the line affecting numerous titles.

Suffice to say, I'm sure the plan was genuine at some point, but release dates are fickle things, and there are numerous examples of attempting to stick to a release schedule when production really isn't ready for it (Spider-Man 3 is a prime example). Disney is pretty savvy in that they allow the animation departments to be generally ready creatively. So the releases are guidelines rather than hard and fast rules.

• Like 1