hasanahmad

Pixar scaling back sequels, one original movie a year

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/pixar-chief-studio-to-scale-back-sequels-aim-for-one-origina

Pixar Animation Studios President Ed Catmull tells BuzzFeed that, moving forward, the animation studio plans to significantly scale back its production of sequels.The news will likely come as a relief to the Pixar faithful, who have not been shy about concerns that the studio had become too eager to make sequels (or prequels) of its previous films at the expense of its legacy of acclaimed original movies.“For artistic reasons … it’s really important that we do an original film a year,” says Catmull, who also serves as president of Walt Disney Animation. “Every once in a while, we get a film where we want or people want to see something continuing in that world — which is the rationale behind the sequel. They want those characters, which means we were successful with them. But if you keep doing that, then you aren’t doing original films.”

The studio’s upcoming slate, however, only includes a single sequel, the Finding Nemo follow-up Finding Dory, which is scheduled for release on Nov. 25, 2015. That film also marks the first time Pixar will release two films within the same calendar year; Inside Out, an original production set within the mind of a young girl, is set to open on June 19, 2015.It’s part of what Catmull says is a strategy to release “one and a half” films a year. “We’re going to have an original film every year, then every other year have a sequel to something,” he says. “That’s the rough idea.”

Edited by Hasan Ahmad

Awesome. I felt the only reason all of these sequels were coming out was to please the Disney fatcats. Cars 2 kind of proved that sequels can and will flop- and at that it is really the only Pixar film we can call a commercial flop.

The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out both sound like they have amazing potential, can't wait to see what Pixar has it store!

• Like 1

Awesome. I felt the only reason all of these sequels were coming out was to please the Disney fatcats. Cars 2 kind of proved that sequels can and will flop- and at that it is really the only Pixar film we can call a commercial flop.

The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out both sound like they have amazing potential, can't wait to see what Pixar has it store!

Who wanted Cars 2, was just for the merchandising. EVERYONE wants the Incredibles 2 and Finding Dory.

• Like 2

Even though they're still pretty far away I really hope they announce their future films at D23 this year. Man, that could be huge for Pixar fans since we'll surely be getting our first TGD footage around that time too.

Edited by tribefan695

I do think though that limiting sequels is just as important. What if their releases for the next five years were TS4, TS5, Monsters Retirement Home, The Incredibles 2, and Finding Dory? And lets say they all were certified fresh and people liked them?I would hate it.