A Marvel Fanboy

Martial Arts Films (& Chinese Wuxia Period Films)

I am not really a big fan on this. But in case there are fans for this genre around here, I think a thread dedicated to Martial Arts Films worth some space on the Boxoffice Forums.

As a sub-genre of action films, Martial arts film (wikipedia), is generally divided into two further subcategories: Kung fu films and (Chinese) Wuxia period films; The former usuaully focus relatively realistical fights in modern setted worlds while the latter impressionistically in period worlds.

From HongKong to Hollywood, to Japan, Thailand, France and almost around the world, there are all Martial arts film. 

There is an amazing list on IMDb: 

The Top 250 Greatest Martial Arts Movies of All-Time

Although I think there are some other great martial arts films, mostly Wuxia films, missing or underrated on that list.

• Like 1

Wow, you're not a fan of Wuxia, firedeep? That's a surprise.

I love the genre cause I grew up with it. My Dad is, who you could call a wuxia junkie. He's a big fan of Jin Yong's wuxia novels and has read all of them. I only read a few myself and mostly know about them through TV series. Tian Long Ba Bu is my utmost favorite.

As for kungfu films, I like the earlier ones. Modern kungu movies, IMO, are certainly better in cinematography, fight sequences, technical aspects, but often lacked a compelling story. They're sometimes, overly complicated just for the sake of it, which I don't really like.

I still prefer watching wuxia TV series more though, especially Jin Yong's adaptations.

Wow, you're not a fan of Wuxia, firedeep? That's a surprise.

I love the genre cause I grew up with it. My Dad is, who you could call a wuxia junkie. He's a big fan of Jin Yong's wuxia novels and has read all of them. I only read a few myself and mostly know about them through TV series. Tian Long Ba Bu is my utmost favorite.

As for kungfu films, I like the earlier ones. Modern kungu movies, IMO, are certainly better in cinematography, fight sequences, technical aspects, but often lacked a compelling story. They're sometimes, overly complicated just for the sake of it, which I don't really like.

I still prefer watching wuxia TV series more though, especially Jin Yong's adaptations.

When I was a kid, I used to watch a lot of Kung Fu movies and Wuxia movies, and just felt couldnt get enough of them. As I get up, I dont feel the desire to watch Kung Fu (or regular action flicks) movies any more. I still appreciate good Wuxia films though. (I probably have seen all Jin Yong adapations on TV ...)

For Wuxia films, there are some of my favourite ones, most of which also belong to the best ever made Chinese films, aka classics. Examples, in case you havent seen them:

A Chinese Ghost Story (1987)

Posted Image

this is actually a fantasy film, romantic horror to be exactly, but it does have Wuxia elements. For people who are interested in seeing some Chinese films, this one is a must see. The colour, photography and atmosphere are top notch. there are two sequels for it, which are not bad too. Speaking of Chinese fantasy classic, below is another one.

Green Snake (1993)

Posted Image

One of director Hark Tsui's best works. Paiting level images. the two movie both have Joey Wang as the leading role.

And speaking of Hark Tsui, as one of the best director/writer for Wuxia films, those below movies can not be skipped for any fan of the genre:

New Dragon Inn (1992)

Posted Image

Swordsman (1990)

Posted Image

Swordsman 2 (1992) [a sequel to the one above with Jet Li as the leading role]

Posted Image

Swordsman is a Jin Yong's wuxia novel adapation.

And speaking of Jin Yong novel adapated movies, Kar Wai Wong's Ashes of Time (1994) can not be missed. This one is better than The Grandmasters (2012), which is already one of the best Kung Fu movies in recent few years.

Posted Image

Surprisingly these six movies I just listed are either missing or very underrated on Eric-Scissorhands' The Top 250 Greatest Martial Arts Movies of All-Time

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1