baumer

Boomerang (1992)

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This film may have it's problems, and apparently many people saw them first hand and stayed away from the film. And I have to admit that the first time I saw this film I wasn't too enthused with it. But after I saw it a second time I fell in love with it and I now own it on video and have seen it quite a few more. And the reason is simple.

First of all it is an excellent romance. Eddie really surprised me with his ability to write a story that actually had me touched. He is especially good as a player who gets played but actually falls in love. Murphy has shown a different side to him here and it is also one of his funnier films in quite some time. He is assisted in the comedy department here by two very funny guys, David Allan Grier and Martin Lawrence, the latter stealing every scene he is in.

Martin Lawrence has never been as funny as he was in this film. He was great in Bad Boys, but his supporting turn here as Gerard is a classic. There is a true camaraderie here between the three friends (Murphy, Lawrence and Grier) and their conversation and actions around one another has the easy flow that longtime friends exhibit. They play jokes on each other, they make fun of each other and they are supportive of one another. But Lawrence has all the funny lines. From burning his dinner when his friends come over, to his hilarious observations about racism (the game of pool is racist because the white ball knocks the **** out of all the coloured balls, including the black one) to defending his unfortunate lack of lovemaking in the last few years, his interpretation of Tyler is just perfect.

Boomerang is also blessed with a truly mellifluous soundtrack. With P.M. Dawn and Boyz To Men, among many of the stars, lending tracks to the film, it reminds me of the soundtrack to Last American Virgin in the sense that there are so many of today's superstars of music on the soundtrack. With Babyface producing, this is another winning production from him.

Boomerang solidifies Eddie Murphy's return to the king of comedy. He did rebound nicely after this film and it is good to see him going back to what he knows. A very, very funny film.

9/10

• Like 1

Watched this again last night.  This gets better with age.  Murphy and everyone involved were quite perfect.  A film you should check out.

I remember it very well.  Plus wasn't the soundtrack the best selling record of all time or something to that effect at one point?

Besides it has great fashion sense, remember you have to "coordinate" ;)

A-

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

"At least I have had sex in the 90's."

"Ah-ha..."

"Dont ah ha me...you know I gets mine."

"Please...you the biggest shit talkin no getting muthafucka of all time."

• Like 1

Martin Lawrence's racial take on everything was funny too.  I love the pool table one

"the game ends when the white ball drives the black ball completely of the table"

"and the felt's green because it's the earth"

:P

• Like 1

I loved the scene in the suit store when the guy is obviously a racist and then Murphy yells AAAHHH as he's walking behind him and the guy jumps.  Just a really funny movie.

• Like 1