grim22

Box Office Fact or Fiction: Week 3 with ChD, Films and Empire. Spider-Man, Hobbits, Khan and more

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who answered better for the week of 12/3

• ChD
    • Films
    • Empire

(Nick Riviera Voice) Hello Again Everybody,

Welcome to the third edition of "Box Office Fact or Fiction". A feature where members of the Box Office forums are asked for their opinions on all things movies.

Last times voting was really close. In the end, the winner by ONE vote, as voted by the forum members is Chasmmi. Congratulations, you win a million internet points. 

This week welcomes three new contributors:

From old blighty - Films
From Hogwarts - ChD
And, from Illinois - Empire

How this works: Each person is given 3 questions to respond to, and then they are given the chance to respond to the other person's questions as well. 

As the reader, you can choose who you feel answered the questions better this week. The winner of the poll gets a Billion internet points (I'm feeling generous this week  :P ). Let's get going with week 3.

1. "Frozen" exceeded all expectations you had of its Box Office

Posted Image

ChD: FACT. After Catching Fire broke out and managed some excellent daily numbers, I didn't think we'd see another surprise for quite some time. The fact that Frozen managed to gross this much is truly surprising and I'm rooting for it to reach 300M.

Films: FACT. I was expecting a number simillar to tangled and with glowing reviews, maybe a bit higher but never this high. I can't wait to see this and like ChD, I'm rooting for 300M.

Empire: FICTION. As it got closer to it coming out I looked at all the hype and expected it to do huge numbers. I hope it has great legs and keeps having great numbers. Like ChD & Films, I am hoping it can make even as much as 300m. It was a great movie, so it deserves all the money it makes.

0 for 1

2. Paul Walker's "Fast and Furious" character should be given a happy closure to end his character arc

Posted Image

ChD: FACT. Personally, I haven't seen ANY of the Fast & Furious movies, but it seems just right that he gets a happy ending. I would find it somewhat insensitive to simply kill him off, especially since he was their man star and one of the few (if not the only one) to be there all 6 movies.

Films: FACT. Again, I've never seen any of the franchise but Paul Walker was one of the main stars and should get a fitting ending.

Empire: FACT. As a big fan of the F&F series, I really think they should find a way to give him a happy ending to his character. It would be a great way to honor Paul. They need to somehow have him leave the group to go live a quiet, happy life with Mia and his kid. Having him die in the movie would just be too hard to watch and probably to hard to find a good way to do it.

1 for 2

3. "Anchorman 2" will be the funniest movie of the year

ChD: FACT. I've seen quite some comedies this year, but Anchorman's trailer alone over takes some of the comedies of this year. If it's anywhere close to the first one, It should be the best comedy in years.

Films: FICTION. Because of the stupid certificate system here in England, I can't see it and also I loved about time and some other comedies and it would need to get an A+. This year has been too strong in comedy for this to be the funniest movie of the year

Empire: FICTION. I think it has the potential to be really funny, but I don't think it will be the funniest movie. Why? Well, because This is the End was one of the funniest movies I has seen in year, so I doubt it will be that good. Not only that, but I have not found any of the trailers to be crazy funny or anything.

1 for 3

SWITCH!!!

Posted Image

4. Brian Griffin will remain dead

Posted Image

Empire: FACT. I think at some point he will come back, but as a ghost where he will comment on the family and new pet. I could be wrong though and the backlash or hate for him being gone will be enough for them to cave and bring Brian back. I hope he stays dead though as I always like it better when death sticks in a TV show as it makes it mean more.

ChD: FACT. I think the original plan was to kill him off for good. The goodbye and everything seemed a little bit serious for a death that lasts only a few episodes. As I said, the original plan was to kill him off for good, but I think he'll be back. He was the favorite character of many people and the creators will regret killing him off. Just wait for it.

Films: FICTION. I think the original plan was for him to be dead but im going to guess he will be back next season. He won't be in it for a bit but he'll come back because of all the petitions (which I signed) and the negative buzz around this decision. YOU CAN'T KILL OFF BRIAN

1 for 4

5. You believe JJ Abrams's statement that he was forced by Paramount to hide Khan in the marketing for STID

Empire: FACT. I believe he was forced, but I also don't think he really tried to fight it much. He likes being secretive about things to try and build hype, so I think it was easy for him to go along with the studio's plan even if he really did want to.

ChD: FICTION. I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount forced him to hide Khan. I don't know what they expected to accomplish by that, and even if it was JJ Abrams' idea, I still don't see why he would want to do that. Still, I'm going with Paramount hiding Khan because the movie was more of a remake of Wrath of Khan than a sequel to the 2009 Star Trek.

Films: FICTION. We all know JJ likes to keep his films secret but I don't think these comments would have been made if STID was a bigger hit like some forecasts domestically. I think even though paramount did want it, I think Abrams all had some say in this decision

1 for 5

6. You are interested in the Amazing Spider-Man spinoff movies

Posted Image

Empire: FICTION. I am not interested at all. I think Amazing Spider-Man is good, but not great. So, for that reason I don't have any desire to watch spinoff films on lesser characters. I just don't think there are any characters in the Spider-Man universe that are big enough to carry a whole film by themselves. Not even Venom. If they did the Flash Thompson version of Venom he could work in a movie by himself, but I know they won't use that version, so it won't work.

With that said, I would probably change my tune if I heard good directors and or actors are working on the films. Sadly, I don't see that happening, but I would love to be proven wrong.

ChD: FICTION. I liked the original Spider-Man movies when I was little, but not they seem meh. I've never really liked the character and the reboot (Amazing Spider-Man) looks horrible to me. I don't remember much of the original Spider-Man. I didn't watch the reboot. I wont watch the spin-off.

Films: FACT. And lets go for the third completely opposite question in this round. FACT. I love Spider-Man and even though I am not gunning for one at the moment, I would definitely see it when they are released. Anyway, I like TASM and more spider-mans are only a good thing.

1 for 6

SWITCH!!!

Posted Image

7. Making a sequel to "It's a Wonderful Life" is a horribly bad idea

Posted Image

Films: FACT. Why ruin a classic film for some money. Ridiculous stupid decision that should be reversed immediately. What's next, a sequel to citizen Kane. This cant happen.

Empire: FACT. It is a really horrible idea. It's a Wonderful Life is a timeless classic whether you like the film or not. It would almost tarnish the legacy of the movie by making a sequel. Not only that, but it came out so long a go that it would just be really odd to have a sequel to it.

ChD: FACT. Terrible, terrible idea. They're trying to ruin a classic by making a sequel after 67 freaking years. No, I'm sorry, but I have no words to describe the stupidity of this decision.

2 of 7

8. "Desolation of Smaug" will be a better movie as compared to "An Unexpected Journey"

Films: FACT. I have not seen AUJ but I am seeing DOS opening day so I'm going to plunge for FACT. AUJ was also not that well received which is another reason I believe DOS will be better.

Empire: FACT. It is simple really. It will be better because it does it won't have all of the boring scenes before the journey like AUJ did. Also, it will be full of more action to make it better. Oh, and it has a dragon(Smaug). Dragons always make movies better.

ChD: FACT. An Unexpected Journey might've had the great adventure elements, which I loved. Of course, the epic adventure will return in Smaug, but they have an advantage: It's that part of the story where everything picks up. While An Unexpected Journey was unexpectedly boring during some parts, Desolation of Smaug promises a quick paced action movie with a DRAGON.

3 of 8

9. You are looking forward to the return of "Sherlock" on January 1

Posted Image

Films: FACT. A fantastic series that I love and it keeps me intrigued. Will be interesting to finally find out how sherlock survived the fall. One thing for sure, this will be on my TV screen on New Years Day.

Empire: FACT. I love Sherlock, so I can't wait for it to come back. It is by far my favorite take on Sherlock Holmes. Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman have great chemistry and make a great Sherlock & Watson.

ChD: FACT. I didn't watch Sherlock until a few months ago - lucky me, makes the wait easier, compared to the ones that were on the day with the episodes - and I loved it. Cumberbatch is brilliant as Sherlock and Bilbo (Martin) is a great Watson, though I think the highlight of the series is the brilliant script writing.

Films: On a side note, I have a competition thread for top 100 films that grossed over 100m unadjusted which is pinned in the speakeasy. Please vote and there is not better way to advertise than free advertising. Thanks for a great game Grim22

4 of 9

The 3 participants had a good start and a good end - the middle went all over the place and they ended up agreeing on 4 out of 9 questions this week.

Feel free to join in and provide your answers in this thread as well. Please do vote as to who you felt answered the questions better. Poll is at the top of this thread.

Thanks again to ChD, Films and Empire for their participation.

I am looking for participants, please let me know if you would be interested in providing your opinions for future editions of this column.

Until Next Time.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2