Blankments

BoxOffice.com's Top 15 Christmas Movies of All-Time: RESULTS and PRESENTATION!

Yep, Scrooged in a beauty.  One of my favourite newer Christmas songs, "Put a little Love in Your Heart," by Annie Lennox was spawned from this film.  Just a really fun film and a terrific performance from Murray and from Annie Potts as one of the Ghosts (I think it was future).

• Like 2

I wasn't doubting you Blank, just commenting that Zanuck knew that summer films didn't do all that well in the summer pre 1975.  It's one of the reasons Jaws' gross was such a shock.

• Like 1

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Chuck Jones, 1966

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35WgpMq6e3o

Adjusted Box Office Gross: N/A

70 points (8 lists)

“He puzzled and puzzed till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!”

Synopsis: A grumpy hermit hatches a plan to steal Christmas from the Whos of Whoville.

Trivia: Dr. Seuss disputed casting Boris Karloff for fear that he would make the Grinch too scary.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 8

I wasn't doubting you Blank, just commenting that Zanuck knew that summer films didn't do all that well in the summer pre 1975.  It's one of the reasons Jaws' gross was such a shock.

Oh, I wasn't saying you were doubting me, haha. I just wanted to post that trailer. :P

Love, Actually

Richard Curtis, 2003

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4-35TN6Amw

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 79.5M

70 points (9 lists)

“If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around.”

Synopsis: Follows the lives of eight very different couples in dealing with their love lives in various loosely and interrelated tales all set during a frantic month before Christmas in London, England.

Trivia: The word "actually" is spoken twenty-two times by various characters in the film.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 6

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Henry Selick, 1993

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWD-mSUtrU

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 127.1M

74 points

“Why, I could make a Christmas tree! And there's not a reason I can find, I couldn't have a Christmastime! I bet I could improve it, too! And that's exactly what I'll do!”

Synopsis: Jack Skellington, king of Halloweentown, discovers Christmas Town, but doesn't quite understand the concept.

Trivia: The original poem was inspired after Tim Burton saw Halloween merchandise display in a store being taken down and replaced by a Christmas display. The juxtaposition of ghouls and goblins with Santa and his reindeer sparked his imagination.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 6