Blankments

BoxOffice.com's Top 15 Christmas Movies of All-Time: RESULTS and PRESENTATION!

Elf

Jon Favreau, 2003

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1e7jMzk-M

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 231.0M

77 points

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.”

Synopsis: After inadvertently wreaking havoc on the elf community due to his ungainly size, a man raised as an elf at the North Pole is sent to the U.S. in search of his true identity.

Trivia: When this screenplay first emerged in 1993, Jim Carrey was attached to star in the lead.

• Like 8

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Brian Henson, 1992

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO_Y5lzSLZI

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 52.9M

86 points

“I will honor Christmas, and try to keep it all the year! I will live my life in the past, the present and the future. I will not shut out the lessons the spirits have taught me!”

Synopsis: The Muppet characters tell their version of the classic tale of an old and bitter miser's redemption on Christmas Eve.

Trivia: This was the first major Muppet project after the death of creator Jim Henson. Henson had performed Kermit the Frog and the role was now being handed down to Steve Whitmire. According to Whitmire he was incredibly nervous about taking over such an iconic character. The night before he had to go record Kermit's songs for the movie, he had a dream where he met Henson in a hotel lobby and told him how unsure he was. In the dream, Henson reassured Whitmire that the feeling would pass. After waking up, Whitmire was confident and able to do the part.

• Like 6

Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite version of the Christmas Carol.

Top 5 will be:

1. Die Hard

2. Home Alone

3. Christmas Vacation

4. Its A Wonderful Life

5. Jingle All The Way :ph34r:

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

Christmas Vacation

Jeremiah Chechik, 1989

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0Trv7vOn0

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 141.9M

87 points (8 lists)

“Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.”

Synopsis: The Griswold family's plans for a big family Christmas predictably turn into a big disaster.

Trivia: Despite being a "Christmas movie," Christmas Day is never actually seen. The film ends on Christmas Eve.

• Like 5

A Christmas Story

Bob Clark, 1983

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgCbcT8eEU

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 51.5M

87 points (9 lists)

“You'll shoot your eye out, kid.”

Synopsis: Ralphie has to convince his parents, his teacher, and Santa that a Red Ryder B.B. gun really is the perfect gift for the 1940s.

Trivia: Jack Nicholson was given the script and was very much interested in the role of Mr. Parker, "The Old Man". However, Clark didn't learn of this until later and the studio didn't want to pay Nicholson's fee anyway, which would have doubled the budget. Regardless, Clark said that Darren McGavin was still the better choice and was born to play the role.

• Like 3

Die Hard

John McTiernan, 1988

Picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qxBXm7ZUTM

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 162.9M

107 points

“Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.”

Synopsis: John McClane, officer of the NYPD, tries to save wife Holly Gennaro and several others, taken hostage by German terrorist Hans Gruber during a Christmas party at the Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles.

Trivia: The trailer is the most badass trailer of all time. :P Also, Bruce Willis was the sixth choice for the main character. It originally went to Arnold Schwarzenegger, then Sylvester Stallone, then Burt Reynolds, then Richard Gere, then Harrison Ford, then Mel Gibson before Willis got it.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 5

Home Alone

Chris Columbus, 1990

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DgbUBoxa48

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 545.3M

111 votes

“This is extremely important. Will you please tell Santa that instead of presents this year, I just want my family back. No toys, nothing but Peter, Kate, Buzz, Megan, Linnie, and Jeff. And my aunt and my cousins. And in a few years’ time, my Uncle Frank. Okay?”

Synopsis: An 8-year-old boy who is accidentally left behind while his family flies to France for Christmas must defend his home against idiotic burglars.

Trivia: In the scene where Harry attempts to bite off Kevin's finger, Joe Pesci actually bit Macaulay Culkin, leaving a scar on his finger. Also, Joe Pesci kept forgetting that he was filming a "family" movie during his character's on-screen outbursts, so director Chris Columbus advised him to say "fridge" instead of the "F-word".

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 6

Christmas Vacation is my choice for number one and Christmas Story number 2.  Sometimes I get misty eyed watching them.  They are a staple of my youth.  I didn't know that about Nicholson being offered the role for the father and I'm glad he didn't get it.  As for Die Hard, Willis is perfect for the role and if it had gone to Arnold or Sly,it would have been a completely different movie.

• Like 1

Home Alone is such a classic.  It's the perfect amalgamation of slapstick comedy and heart warming family nostalgia.  The subplot with the "scary" man next store brings a lump to my throat at times.  Their conversation in the church feels so organic, so honest and pure.  I love this film.

• Like 3