Quigley

ITALY (Botteghino): 'Kung Fu Panda 4' becomes biggest 2024 film

Estimations were right! Interstellar leads the market with a very healthy $3.6m ;)

In Euros, during Fri-Sun, it has made as much as Inception did 4 years ago. But that had DiCaprio (who is very popular here)! If Interstellar had DiCaprio it would have done $5m

• Like 1

I saw Interstellar today and I really really loved it!!! even my friend enjoyed it and I though she was not going to like it. IMO it's a great Sci-Fi movie!!!

Excellent glad you loved it! taking my gf for a third viewing today :) still so hard to get decent seats though..

• Like 1

Ah you should try and watch it in IMAX if possible. I've tried IMAX, 2D and 4DX and it really doesn't compare.

In Italy there are only 3 IMAX screens and one of these is in a theme park and almost never shows movies and is actually the only certified because the other two have 2K projectors, so below the IMAX standard.

• Like 1

In Italy there are only 3 IMAX screens and one of these is in a theme park and almost never shows movies and is actually the only certified because the other two have 2K projectors, so below the IMAX standard.

That's terrible...they should change the projector to 4K ASAP!

SUPERHEROES (since 2000, datas are in euros)

• Spider Man 19,26
  • Spider Man 2 18,98

• Spider Man 3 18,04

• The Avengers 17,97

• Iron Man 3 16,09

• The Dark Knight Rises 14,67

• Hancock 12,00

• The Amazing Spider-Man 11,77

• The Dark Knight 9,48

• The Amazing Spider-Man 2 9,14

• The Fastastic Four 9,08

• Thor: The Dark World 8,36

• Iron Man 2 8,17

• Thor 7,45

• Hulk 7,34

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7,07

• Iron Man 6,95

• Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer 6,92

• X-Men: Days of Future Past 6,58

• Captain America 6,23

• X-Men: The Last Stand 5,64

• Superman Returns 5,34

• X-Men 2 5,34

• Guardians of the Galaxy 5,32

• X-Men Origins: Wolverine 4,96

• The Wolverine 4,92
  • Man of Steel 4,68
  • X-Men 4,64
  • The Incredible Hulk 3,99
  • Daredevil 3,60
  • Ghost Rider 2,95
  • X-Men: First Class 2,75
  • Green Lantern 2,36

NB: The Incredibles, Wanted and Blade are excluded.

Not a big success here in Italy, I honestly expected at least 7 mln EU; it's going to make no more than 6 mln EU.

IS in now at +$4,3 M.

• Like 4

Interstellar passes 5M$ and it's still #1 on thursday despite the opening of a highly promoted local title. This weekend the contemporary presence of  two local comedy that is fight one another could give advantage to Nolan's sci-fi to reach first spot. We'll know more tomorrow.

• Like 3

Interstellar passes 5M$ and it's still #1 on thursday despite the opening of a highly promoted local title. This weekend the contemporary presence of  two local comedy that is fight one another could give advantage to Nolan's sci-fi to reach first spot. We'll know more tomorrow.

Interstellar fell less than 15% compared to last Thursday ;)

• Like 3

In Euros, during Fri-Sun, it has made as much as Inception did 4 years ago. But that had DiCaprio (who is very popular here)! If Interstellar had DiCaprio it would have done $5m

This is a very weak assumption.

I don't think the name of the leading actor is the most important thing in a movie like Interstellar: it isn't a teen movie, the choice to see it or not depends more on the interest that you may have to the subject matter.

However Interstellar's cast isn't so bad: McConaughey is the 2013 oscar winner, Damon, Hataway and Caine are widely known and also Chastain (oscar nominee) and Foy (already seen in final chapter of Twilight saga and in The Conjuring) aren't newbies.

• Like 1

This is a very weak assumption.

I don't think the name of the leading actor is the most important thing in a movie like Interstellar: it isn't a teen movie, the choice to see it or not depends more on the interest that you may have to the subject matter.

However Interstellar's cast isn't so bad: McConaughey is the 2013 oscar winner, Damon, Hataway and Caine are widely known and also Chastain (oscar nominee) and Foy (already seen in final chapter of Twilight saga and in The Conjuring) aren't newbies.

McConaughey has won an Oscar but that doesn't mean anything in a BO prospective (at least in Italy). Yes, more people know who he is nowadays than 5 years ago but most of the GA still doesn't recognize him.

Damon

isn't in the marketing.

Hathaway had only a success here in Italy (Devil wears Prada) and I don't think the GA knows who she is.

Foe? Do you think someone went to the cinema saying “Oh I am going to see IS because there is the actress who was in the last Twlight movie, my favorite movie.” Noone recognizes her. If there was Pattinson, it would have been another story.

Caine was in all Nolan recent movies so he had more exposure than the others; but certainly not that much.

Chastain? If I ask to 20 friends of mine who she is, two of them would say “Yes, I know her”.

Shall we talk about DiCaprio?

Here in Italy almost everyone loves him. GA appreciates him. His box office track is amazing. In Italy He has the Star Power. Maybe also Damon has some (but less), others actors above are not so-well known here.

Then it's right to say “the name of the leading actor isn't the most important thing in a movie like Interstellar: it isn't a teen movie, the choice to see it or not depends more on the interest that you may have to the subject matter. “ but considering that we are in Italy, a well-known face would have attracted more people, that's a fact.

Edited by Filmovie
  • Like 1