Dementeleus

Bringing Out the Dead (1999)

Bringing Out the Dead (1999)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of the best films I've seen recently, and a good candidate for Scorsese's most underrated movie. An electrifying, powerful trip with a handful of great, distinctive performances from Cage, Arquette, Rhames, Sizemore, Goodman and Cliff Curtis. Would probably make a hell of a triple feature with Taxi Driver and After Hours.

• Like 1

Nicolas Cage is a master at playing men on the edge. Nobody does troubled, unhinged and frustrated quite like him. Bringing Out The Dead, a fucking stunning piece of work in its own right, has Cage giving his most nuanced and desperate performance that, for reasons unknown, didn't receive any award nominations. Damn shame. He's great. 

Really, really terrific movie, too. Close to being a masterpiece. It certainly deserves to be seen more. 

• Like 1

I was shocked when I found out the budget here was $55 million. I get that Cage was bankable back then, but how could anyone read the script and believe this movie would be big enough to bring back that budget?

It was always going to be divisive, and it doesn't surprise me that it got basically lost among all the more hyped/controversial adult films of late 1999. People will rediscover it, though, like they are already doing with The King of Comedy and After Hours.

I think it's possibly Scorsese's most distressing film. Just look at the early scenes with John Goodman and Cage. Or the scenes at the overcrowded nightmare hospital. It's super grim stuff. But it doesn't feel gratuitous or like Scorsese relishing in the misery of these people. I had so much sympathy for poor fucking Frank and I think Scorsese did too. 

I'd say Taxi Driver is at least as dark, but yeah, I know what you mean. One of the things that made me love it was how balanced it was, the movie isn't shy of being very grim and serious, but it also moves with energy, is hugely entertaining in spots (the I. B. Bangin' scene killed me), Cage and Arquette's relationship is instantly heartwarming and the uplifting ending feels earned. The overall tone is just about perfect.

• Like 1

I'd say Taxi Driver is at least as dark, but yeah, I know what you mean. One of the things that made me love it was how balanced it was, the movie isn't shy of being very grim and serious, but it also moves with energy, is hugely entertaining in spots (the I. B. Bangin' scene killed me), Cage and Arquette's relationship is instantly heartwarming and the uplifting ending feels earned. The overall tone is just about perfect.

I loved Ving Rhames. And I agree with you: while I did find it tough and grim, the movie throws in enough humor, visuals, nice music choices and interesting observations for it to not become just dreary miserablist sludge that you can only watch once. I'm glad the movie actually had a happy ending, I did not expect it to have one. 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

Something just didn't click for me, the only thing I felt at the end was indifference. I think the problem was the tone, which was all over the place. Drama and absurdist comedy are like water and oil, they just don't mix together. 

That said, I thought it was hilarious, like seriously hilarious. And over the top Nic Cage is always a plus. 

and HEY, don't make me take off my sunglasses!

Edited by Goffe