grim22

Box Office Forums's "Most under-appreciated films of the 2000s". Reveal starting now

Moving on.

TREASURE PLANET

Posted Image

PLOT: A Disney animated version of "Treasure Island". The only difference is that the film is set in outer space with alien worlds and other galactic wonders.

Been an extremely long time since I have seen this movie. I think the movie suffered from the weird 2D-3D blend animation at a time when 3D Animation was taking over completely. 

• Like 6

I know I'm just a hating hater, but can someone explain to me how a movie that got a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, a 92 ("universal acclaim") on Metacritic, won the Oscar for Best Animated Movie, and made over 400m domestic and over a billion worldwide can be considered "under-rated" in any way, shape or form?

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 11

I know I'm just a hating hater, but can someone explain to me how a movie that got a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, a 92 ("universal acclaim") on Metacritic, won the Oscar for Best Animated Movie, and made over 400m domestic and over a billion worldwide can be considered "under-rated" in any way, shape or form?

it appeared on the most overrated list so maybe some people wanted to return the favor

• Like 2

SOLARIS

Posted Image

PLOT: A troubled psychologist is sent to investigate the crew of an isolated research station orbiting a bizarre planet.

The last time Clooney played an Astronaut before Gravity, it didn't end well for the movie. This is one of the very few movies to have the coveted Cinemascore. Which means that audiences across 5 theaters in the US didn't like it  :P

• Like 4

The main reason I put it top of my list was just after the most appreciated movies list and it was 2nd on that and for me that makes it under appreciated as it should not be anywhere near an over appreciated list

Because Films said so. And a couple of other people had it on their list (towards the bottom). But as you saw, Films had it front and center at number 1. Any other spot on his list and it wouldn't be on this list.

• Like 1

Because Films said so. And a couple of other people had it on their list (towards the bottom). But as you saw, Films had it front and center at number 1. Any other spot on his list and it wouldn't be on this list.

Just for reference, who else had it on their lists

But if you're basing that result off of something like 6-12 people not liking it as much as you on these forums (which is basically comes down to), how does that counter the huge preponderance of evidence that it was loved critically, loved by audiences domestically, loved by audiences worldwide, and loved by the Academy?

• Like 3

Treasure Planet looked like crap to me even when it came out. Maybe I'll have to reconsider.

Toy Story 3 is considered overrated so frequently, that it actually is pretty close to switching right back into underrated territory, IMO. However, I didn't have it on my list. I did have Bruno at #9 in my top 10, and I'm interested to see how many of my others make the list. There's one that I put on there that's certain to be on this ranking.

But if you're basing that result off of something like 6-12 people not liking it as much as you on these forums (which is basically comes down to), how does that counter the huge preponderance of evidence that it was loved critically, loved by audiences domestically, loved by audiences worldwide, and loved by the Academy?

Because for me it is the perfect movie. If I even saw like 1 C grade that would put it on my list [but more like 30 than 1]. I just can't have any criticism for the film

Posted Image

• Like 1

Because for me it is the perfect movie. If I even saw like 1 C grade that would put it on my list [but more like 30 than 1]. I just can't have any criticism for the film

:lol: So literally it will continue to be under-rated until every person who sees it loves it unreservedly?

• Like 3

As we saw in the discussion on the overrated films list, there is a massive misunderstanding about overrated and underrated and what they mean. But I suppose that's going to be an ongoing debate.

I wonder if I should have submitted a list. I mostly didn't because I couldn't decide what placement to put everything at.

#18:

THE STAR WARS PREQUEL TRILOGY

Posted Image

PLOT: George Lucas systematically destroys everything he had built up. The internet explodes.

Somewhat cheating with this placement, but all 3 of these movies found their place on people's lists. So I felt combining them together is the best option.

• Like 3