Adieu Au Langage (2014)

1 member has voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I had a blast with it. I accepted early on that I wasn't going to comprehend a good amount of what Godard wants to say, do and reference here, so I pretty much just laid back and enjoyed it as a speedy, funny, wildly inventive stream of rambling ideas and juxtapositions, visual, aural and otherwise. It feels less like a film that breaks all the rules and more like one that isn't even aware that there are any in the first place.

This is only the second post-1966 Godard film I've seen following In Praise of Love, which I thought was dry as a fucking bone in every way, lifeless and sometimes eye-rollingly stupid. Godard uses all the same techniques here which only makes the difference in quality more staggering. Though of course there are a lot of people among critics and academics who love that film and would put the two near the same level.

And yes: greatest use of 3D ever.