Kalo

Kalo's Top 20 most anticipated films of 2016 - a new year's countdown!

#7 Doctor Strange 11.4.16

doctorstrangeheader.jpg

I got to admit I was a little bummed that Joaquin Phoenix ending not getting the role as the Sorcerer Supreme, and although Benedict Cumberbatch is a good actor, I feel he is a little overrated. he always seems to play the same character, but after seeing those movie stills my reservation have been put to rest. he looks fantastic in the role! now I have actually read the Doctor Strange origin and it is very good, lets hope the movie is just as fun bizarre and fantastic! this definitely has a shot to be one of the most unique films marvel has tackled so far. 

Mystical-Strange-005-EW.jpg?itok=8MUzHbJ 

Box Office Predictions: $80/$210m

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

#6 Passengers 12.21.16

passengers-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt

Chris Pratt And Jennifer Lawrence star in a epic space sci-fi.. romance? this movie has intrigued me since I heard about it getting made. it sounds like it could be super awesome or cheesy, and with the king and queen of box office hits it will be interesting to see how big their combined star power pans out. could this be Pratt first Oscar contender role? well see I guess.

Box Office Predictions: $40/$150m

• Like 3

#5 Silence TBA 2016.

AdammOVIES.jpg

Martin Scorsese's passion project, based on actual historical events of Jesuit priests, who travel to Japan to locate their mentor and are faced persecution violence along the way. Scorsese had a draft for the film as early as the 1990s for this film. and with a leading leading with Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver this is definitely set with the possibility of being one of the best films of the year. there is no official release yet, but fourth quarter of the year seems likely for Oscar season. 

liam-neeson-silence-image_jpg_1003x0_cro

Box Office Predictions $45m

• Like 2

#4 Bourne 5 7.29.16

i9uufymwcquoribtwxuw.jpg

The Bourne Ultimatum is in my opinion the best action film of all time, and when Damon and Greengrass left the series and we got Bourne Legacy with Jeremy Renner, the results were disappointing. but after 9 years Damon is back along with the director and this movie is actually happening! the only reservation I have is that Ultimatum ending so perfectly I'm not sure how a sequel could live up to that, but after seeing Damon knocked out of the park in the Martian, the idea of an older more seasoned bourne excites me more than ever and ever bourne film starring him has been great so far.

Box Office Predictions: $85/$240m

• Like 4

#3 X-Men: Apocalypse 5.27.16

x-men-3-57059ea9-fe17-4054-8311-7199f7b7

The X-Men Series is at this point my favorite superhero series of all time, and Bryan Singer's last one Days of Future Past is currently my favorite superhero film ever, the way the X-Men films have managed to steer away from the formulaic superhero mold, and been seen as epic dramas about gifted but in many ways ordinary people, who faces struggles and puscation, they are grounded but yet in some ways more sci-fi than most of the genre, epic but personally, curious but yet carry some of the more humorous moments. sure there have been a couple misfires along the way, but even the worst X-Men film I still can enjoy to an extent, and Bryan Singer directors all of my favorites, in fact he is possibly my favorite director film ever. and He's doing it once Again For Apocalypse the reason why this isn't a little higher is because I just don't know if it can top DOFP's perfection, but being set in the 80s, adding Oscar Isaac as the villainous Apocalypse as well as seeing Jean, Cycups and Storm as students makes me very excited for this indeed.

Box Office Predictions: $95/$245m

• Like 2

#2 Captain America: Civil War 5.6.16 

Captain-America-Civil-War-Banner-slice-1

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is my favorite movie in the MCU, it was one of their most personal films to date the chemistry between all the actors was great and it by far had the best action sequences, and when I heard they were doing a incarnation of the Civil War storyline, I was excited but skeptical, the Idea of heroes divided in this sense especially Captain America and Iron Man, could work brilliantly or fail hard, I also also concerned it would end up being to much of an Avengers 2.5 rather than I sequel to winter Soldier, but than they released the trailer and my fears were put to rest, it looks to be very much a continuation of Winter Soldier. it looks very much Captain America and Bucky centric and surprisingly small scale. which may be a turnoff to some people, but makes me even more excited. the teasers was probably the best trailer I've seen for a 2016 release so far. not to mention Spider-Man's introduction into the MCU and the first apear of black Panther!  

Box Office Predictions: $165/$425m

• Like 3

#1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 12.16.16

NErOM523JAimuv_3_b.jpg

So it probably comes with little surprise that this is my most anticipated film of 2016. anyone who knows me at all on here, knows I'm an extreme star wars fan, however this was actually a lot closer than you would think, Civil War was almost my #1, because well, I'm just not sure how good a movie about stealing the plans to the Death Star will be, especially since the bread and butter of star wars to me, the Jedi are reportedly nowhere to be found here, that being said, I really loved Force Awakens, even with it's flaws. and Felicity Jones is a fantastic actress, and it will be interesting what a modern made rebels era movie will look like, and maybe will get a few easter eggs here, Poe Dameron's parents maybe? I'm pretty sure Vader is in it. And the idea of a star wars movie that doesn't necessarily have to stick as closely to the star wars formula is an interesting premise. 

ro_forgatas201508_1.jpg

rogue_one_70287.jpg

Box Office Predictions: $140m/$450m

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 4

Well there you have it my most anticipated films of 2016! I got to be honest, it very much looks like a 'tide you over' year to me, as right now my top 4 most anticipated films of 2017 (Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, Beauty and the Beast and Star Wars Episode VIII) are higher than my #1 of 2016. but it still looks like an exciting year none the less, and I somewhat felt the same about 2014. which ending being one of the best years for movies of the decade so far. hope you enjoyed reading my countdown. also sorry if your Nemo or Independence day fans I am not and honestly couldn't care less about either film.

• Like 1