Kalo

Kalo's Top 20 most anticipated films of 2016 - a new year's countdown!

Well guys we've come to that time, it's the end of the year, and what a great year it was for movies, the most anticipated movie of my life was released (Star Wars The Force Awakens) and it was pretty awesome, Mad Max was amazing and Creed rocked. but it;s time to look forward. and well I'm not doing my top films of 2015 yet because I have to see the Revenant first. so i thought i would to a quick rundown of my top 20 most anticipated films of 2016. and I try to rank it all out in the next 24 hours. so here it is!

• Like 2

#20 Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice 3.25.16

batman-vs-superman.jpg

about a year ago this movie would have been easily in my top 5. but well I realized I fooled myself into thinking Man of Steel was a good movie. and then I realised that it is in fact not only disappointing but to me not even a good movie, it's like the execs at WB said "hey lets to batman, only with superman." but they failed on even that as it basically only resembles The Dark Knight movies in the fact that it is more grey (like literally) and takes itself seriously, but some of the things that happen are so ridiculous that it makes it almost impossible to believe. Clark Kent no longer a hero really because well he's kind of stupid in MoS. and this is coming from someone who has Superman as their all time favorite superhero, that with lack of character development, scenes that don't even mesh into a proper story and a fight sequences that last about 45 minutes longer than it needs to, it failed to live up to the superman name to me and  I do not like it. 

so why is Batman V Superman in my top 20 than? because I'm a glutton for punishment mostly, I have very low hopes for this movie. I do not like Zack Snyder as a director and David Goyer is even worse. but I am a fan of Argo and Ben Affleck, and getting argo screenplay writer Chris Terrio to publish the script, gives me some hope and the fact the Affleck took the role, that and he is an excellent film writer and I'm hoping he put his fingerprints on the final product. and the Comic con trailer was pretty good. also seeing Wonder Woman for the first time on the big screen is pretty exciting. so this is enough for the top 20 for me. if only I could say liked the last trailer or the portrayal of Lex Luthor. 

My Box office predicts: $180/$410m

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#19 The Jungle Book 4.15.16

TheJungleBookBanner.png

Disney's Live Action remakes have been a little hit and miss for me. I didn't care much for Maleficent. but I thought Cinderella was fantastic. so I feel like maybe Dinsley is finally starting to get the swing of this. the trailer was a little CGI heavy, but for the most part I thought it looked great, and the prospect of a visual feast set in a jungle sound pretty awesome. as well as having talents like Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o, Idris Elba and Billy Murray can't hurt either. 

My Box office Predicts: $80/$245m.

• Like 5

#18 Midnight Special 3.18.16

midnight-special-poster-slice-600x200.jp

Director Jeff Nichols' Mud was fantastic and ended up being one of r my favorite films of 2013, although I still know very little about this movie, the prospect of him doing a road trip sci-fi sounds very intriguing to say the least, add in the talents of Michael Shannon, Adam Driver (who is quickly becoming a favorite for me), Joel Edgerton and Kirsten Dunst (who is an underrated actress imo). and it makes it an absolute must see.

unsure of Box Office because it only is set for a limited release right now, but my guess is it goes wide and hits about $30m. 

• Like 4

#17 Star Trek Beyond 7.22.16

deltabar.jpg

I love JJ Abrams 2009 Star Trek, in fact it is one of my all time favorite movies, and I even felt that Star Trek into Darkness was a very solid sequel. so why is this so low? well several weeks ago it wasn't they released the first trailer, and it wasn't very good, that on top of the fact that I was already nervous about their new director (fast and furious helmer Justin Len? really?) it makes me really nervous especially his comments about ignoring events in into darkness, I did still feel there were some good moments in the trailer, some of the humor worked for me. the cast is great and it's a space sci-adventure! and a bad trailer does not necessarily mean a bad movie. I'm going to try to keep an open mind about this but I am definitely going to keep my expectations in check. 

Box Office Predictions $63/$165m

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#16 Everybody Wants Some 4.15.16

ews-trailer-banner.jpg

I am somewhat new to Richard Linklater, in fact the first film of his I saw was Boyhood, but oh man was it a movie! since then I have now seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, and loved them both. so it didn't take me long to become a fan his style on a college comedy set in the 80s (one of my favorite decades), on top of a trailer that looks like pure fun! and I can't wait to see Everybody wants some!

Box Office Predictions 14/37m 

• Like 3

#15 The Magnificent Seven 9.23.16 

magnificent-seven-pratt.jpg

I gotta be honest, the main reason I want to see this is for Chris Pratt, I just love him and will see pretty much everything he is in, I do love a good westen though (mostly more recent ones). and adding Denzel Washington and Matt Bomer to the mix doesn't hurt, I've yet to see the original, but I plan to before this one releases. hopefully this movie will be great. 

Chris Pratt on set of Magnificent Seven:

tumblr_nqfcs9ofRQ1spx215o1_500.jpg

Box Office Predictions: $33/$100m

• Like 3

#14 Deadpool 2.12.16

deadpool-movie-poster.jpg

I honestly don't know if this movie will be good or not, I think it will be, I loved the last trailer for it. however I felt the red band just added f bombs to the orignal and it didn't really make it any funnier. but here is hoping a raunchy hard R Superhero? movie is going to be one hella a ride. 

Box Office Predictions: $65/$165m

• Like 2

#13 Zoolander 2 2.12.16

Zoolander-2.jpg

Zoolander was a hilarious movie, and I am a big Ben Stiller fan, just the idea of dumb male models if you haven't seen it yet do, it's great. now I am a little special of comedy sequels, they are just usually not as good, Dumb and Dumber To anyone? however the latest trailer for Zoolander 2 was fantastic perhaps the funniest trailer I saw all year here's hoping it's great. 

Box Office Predictions: $25/$80m

• Like 4

#12 Moana 11.23.16

moana_01.jpg

Disney's Next female centric animation, set in the Pacific Islands I believe? and it's also a musical! Disney + Ocean + animation + Musical should equal amzing.

Unknown native Hawaiian Auli'i Cravalho was cast as the title role of Moana. 

CXGs04LUwAASc1s.jpg

Box Office Predictions: $80/$280m

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I am so going to see The Magnificent Seven even if it gets a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's going to take a very special level of incompetence for someone to fuck up a movie with that many awesome men in it.

Have you seen who wrote the script? :ph34r:

Spoiler

Nic_Pizzolatto_Embed_Five%20copy.jpg

Spoiler

Nic_Pizzolatto_Embed_Two%20copy.jpg

Spoiler

nic_pizzalatto.jpg

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Have you seen who wrote the script? :ph34r:

Hide contents

Nic_Pizzolatto_Embed_Five%20copy.jpg

Hide contents

Nic_Pizzolatto_Embed_Two%20copy.jpg

Hide contents

nic_pizzalatto.jpg

He's co-writing it with John Lee Hancock (director of The Blind Side and Saving Mr. Banks), so he can breath easily that he won't endure another backlash (or get sole credit/blame) in the event this sucks.

But really, it'll be on them and Antoine Fuqua if The Magnificent Seven sucks because my goodness that cast. Denzel, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Matt Bomer, Peter Saarsgard, and Haley Bennett (can she please be a star soon? She should've been one after Music & Lyrics) all in one movie? Sold.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

#11 Suicide Squad 8.5.16

Suicide-Squad-Movie-Cast.jpg

DC first nono Bat/Sups film is none other than the bad guy team-up film "Suicide Squad" which may end up being the first film in the DCU that's actually good, for one thing David Ayer is directed, who helmed the excellence Fury. and there's that devilishly good Comic trailer. which would appear that fan favorite Harley Quinn is the heart and soul(lessness?) of this movie, played by the incredibly talented Margot Robbie. I'm still not completely sure WB knows what they're doing with their DC heroes so there is definitely still some reservations about this movie, but I'm a lot more confident in it than BvS at this time. 

Box Office Predictions: $105/$275m

• Like 3

#10 Assassin's Creed 12.21.16

maxresdefault.jpg

I know it's a video game adaption, but it's a video game adaptation that got Michael Fassbender to star, on top of that Macbeth director Justin Kurzel, is helming it. this very well could be the first good video game adaption (if Warcraft doesn't pan out that is), plus the is very intriguing and could work well as a movie.

Box Office Predictions:  $45/$160m

• Like 2

#9 Zootopia 3.4.16

zootopiatrailer-139580.jpg

Everything about this movie looks great, the idea of animals if they were intelligent and worked like humans Jason Bateman and Ginnifer Goodwin's chemistry in just the trailers are magnetic it looks cute, funny and foxy. (pun intended) It's personally my most anticipated animated film of the year and I can't wait to see it!

Box Office Predictions: $75/$255m

• Like 2

#8 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 11.18.16

fantastic-beasts-where-find-them-logo.jp

Despite being in the perfect age range, I actually did not grow up with Harry Potter films like most kids my age. my parents didn't let me watch them as a child. but as a adult I said what the heck and a couple years ago watch them all in like a week, and enjoyed them immensely, the last two being my favorite. now this is a spin-off so who knows, but the premise and the teaser sound very intriguing and exciting, and Eddie Redmayne is a fantastic actor.. if not the easiest on the eyes. ah but looks aren't everything. here's hoping it will be great!

Box Office Predictions: $105/$285m