The Panda

The "Get Cultured" 2016 Challenge

I was inspired by the 365 day movie challenge to try and take it to the next level.  The purpose of this challenge is to expand your cultural view as a whole.

The Rules

1.You can start any day (preferably this week so it's mostly a 2016 deal)

2.Every day of the year you must either wach a film, go to a play, go to an opera or musical, go to a concert, go to a recital, go to a ballet/dance performance, or go to an art/history museum/gallery (or something similar)

3.You may not do the same thing for an entire week.  So you can't just watch films, you can however have 6 days be films and 1 day go to an opera.

4.You must read at least one novel, book, or novel length essay/essay compilation a month, it can't be something you read for a class.

5.During the year you must go to at least one "cultural showcase" a year that's outside of the town you live.  The showcase could be a film festival, a museum, a gallery, a rodeo, etc.  It's your choice, but its encouraged to be something you haven't seen/been to before. 

Keep track of it here!

So far mine is

Jan 1 - Film: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Jan 2 - Film: The Gift (2015)

Jan 3 - Film: Kung Fu Panda (2008)

Jan 4 - TV Show: Jessica Jones Episodes 1-7

Film: Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

Jan 5 - TV Show: Jessica Jones Episodes 8-13

Film: Blade Runner (1982)

Jan 6 - Film: Once (2007)

Jan 7 - Film: Star Wars: The Force Awakens an IMAX Experience

Jan 8 - Film: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

Jan 9 - "Gallery": Board Game Maker Meet Up

Film: The Revenant (2015)

Jan 10 - Film: The Station Agent (2003)

Jan 11 - Film: Gravity (2013)

Jan 12 - Film: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Jan 13 - Film: Short Term 12 (2013)

Jan 14 - Film: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Bengazi (2016)

Jan 15 - Convention: Winterfest

Film: Creed (2015)

Jan 16 - Convention: Winterfest

Film: Norm of the North (2016)

Jan 17 - Film: Ex Machina (2015)

Jan 18 - Film: Jurassic World (2015)

Edited by The Panda

55 minutes ago, department store basement said:

This is rather daring. Are you sure you can do it despite your job? I certainly can't.

Practically, it's a film 6 days a week, and something else once a week.  Then add on a book a month and visiting something cultural on a vacation.

I can get into a lot of free art shows, plays, recitals, etc. so it shouldn't be to difficult.  It's just going out of my way to broaden my cultural view a bit.

I'm taking 17 credits hours for college starting wednesday and would have to drive probably an hour and a half sometimes to find a play/opera every week(I don't really like going to one that often either) wouldn't mind a concert but I'd probably be lucky If I found one I wanted to go to in my area once a month.  and am also not made out of money right now so I can't ambitious though none the less.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Practically, it's a film 6 days a week, and something else once a week.  Then add on a book a month and visiting something cultural on a vacation.

I can get into a lot of free art shows, plays, recitals, etc. so it shouldn't be to difficult.  It's just going out of my way to broaden my cultural view a bit.

I'm baffled that you even have time to do a movie 6 days a week.

I only have time for a movie 1 day a week AT MOST.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

I'm taking 17 credits hours for college starting wednesday and would have to drive probably an hour and a half sometimes to find a play/opera every week(I don't really like going to one that often either) wouldn't mind a concert but I'd probably be lucky If I found one I wanted to go to in my area once a month.  and am also not made out of money right now so I can't ambitious though none the less.

Try seeing if your university does plays or recitals.  Obviously this isn't feasible for everyone depending on where you live.

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

I'm baffled that you even have time to do a movie 6 days a week.

I only have time for a movie 1 day a week AT MOST.

I can't every day in theaters obviously.  But I can watch a Netflix film during the night when I get home, even if I have something to do.